How to add a folder menu on the task bar?

Add functionality to your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Red Squirrel
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Red Squirrel »

How do I go about adding a small menu on the task bar that has a few shortcuts in it? Basically I have a folder /network with all my network mounts in it. I want a menu of all the mounts so I can open a folder in "Explorer" (whatever it's called in Linux) of that location. I had this setup in Kubuntu but I don't seem to be able to find an option in Mint unless I'm not looking at the right place. Thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: How to add a folder menu on the task bar?

Post by richyrich »

In the Xfce desktop, you can add a Places launcher to the panel . . but, alas, we do not know which desktop you are using. :?
Red Squirrel
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Red Squirrel »

KDE I think? Whatever is default in Linux Mint 17.1 Mate.
Red Squirrel
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Red Squirrel »

I guess this is not possible to do? What about just a launcher that opens a folder? I can't seem to find a way to do that either. I tried to make a launcher to a folder path but it just errors out saying the operation is not supported when I try to open it. I just want a quick way to be able to get to certain locations that I work in a lot, and I just want it to open with the file manager (ex: Explorer in Windows).

Edit: Is there perhaps 3rd party add ons that add this option to the "add to panel" options? I mean, there's GOT to be a way of doing this. I can't be the only one who has used that option in Windows to have a mini menu to quickly launch folders or apps that are often used. Yeah I could just add shortcuts to the desktop but I rather replace all of that with a single clean menu.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

Red Squirrel wrote:KDE I think? Whatever is default in Linux Mint 17.1 Mate.
Please tell which version of Linux Mint you are using and which desktop environment. Procedures to achieve what you want may differ according to the desktop environment. There is no default.

In Cinnamon you can right click on the desktop and select "Create a new launcher here". This will open a small window where you can specify what should be launched, the target path and allocate an icon. You can drag this to your panel after engaging "panel edit" mode.
There are also many applets available via System Settings which will accomplish what you are trying to do.
Look in System Settings, Preferences, Applets and click on "Available applets (online)".
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
Red Squirrel
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Red Squirrel »

Is there a way to find out the desktop environment?

I just have whatever comes default with Linux Mint 17.1 Mate. KDE I think?
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

If you say you have Mate, that is the Desktop Environment, KDE is another Desktop Environment, as are Cinnamon, and Xfce. Have you tried right-clicking on a clear area of the bottom panel, and from the popup menu choose "add to panel" > Places launcher , or something similar ? Or even tried right-clicking on the File Manager in the main Menu, and from the popup window choose "add to panel" ?
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Is there a way to find out the desktop environment?
Click on Menu and in the search window type "welcome" (without the quotation marks) --then click on Welcome Screen
The first two lines will tell you what you need to know.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Red Squirrel
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Red Squirrel »

richyrich wrote:If you say you have Mate, that is the Desktop Environment, KDE is another Desktop Environment, as are Cinnamon, and Xfce. Have you tried right-clicking on a clear area of the bottom panel, and from the popup menu choose "add to panel" > Places launcher , or something similar ? Or even tried right-clicking on the File Manager in the main Menu, and from the popup window choose "add to panel" ?
Oh ok, so Mate is actually a desktop environment? That's what I'm running then. Tried right clicking to add to panel, closest thing I found was launcher, but I can't put just a location, it looks like it wants a command to open a specific program. I managed to make it so I can use a program to make the folder open, so if this is the closest I can get it will have to do, but a drop down menu that I can customize to have 1 entry for each folder would be nice. There's "drawer" but it just started acting all weird like taking up the entire screen. I don't think it's what I thought it was. Is there a way to add more options, like some kind of add-on pack?
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

Red Squirrel wrote:How do I go about adding a small menu on the task bar that has a few shortcuts in it? Basically I have a folder /network with all my network mounts in it. I want a menu of all the mounts so I can open a folder in "Explorer" (whatever it's called in Linux) of that location. I had this setup in Kubuntu but I don't seem to be able to find an option in Mint unless I'm not looking at the right place. Thanks in advance.

I have a panel item installed called Drawer.

Open Drawer and drag and drop shortcuts to apps, then when you click on it, it drops down allowing you to select your item.

Red Squirrel
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Red Squirrel »

Yeah played around with drawer, just started acting all flaky and stuff like it grew to bigger than the height of the screen and the icons were all spread out. I ended up managing to put a launcher, had to just put the command in manually to start the explorer program to launch the folder that has my other folders in it. Will have to do. Basically this was the command: caja --no-desktop --browser %U /network/. /network being the folder I wanted to have a drop down that lists the folders inside that.
Mike33
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Mike33 »

OS = Mint 17.1 Cinnamon - Linux micmint-System 3.13.0-37-generic #64-Ubuntu SMP Mon Sep 22 21:30:01 UTC 2014 i686 athlon i686 GNU/Linux

Hi,
you say in this forum:
"In Cinnamon you can right click on the desktop and select "Create a new launcher here". This will open a small window where you can specify what should be launched, the target path and allocate an icon. You can drag this to your panel after engaging "panel edit" mode."
I have done that, well created on the desktop, but, unhappyly, mint refuse to stick this launcher in the task bar after trying to drag it, same after having engaged panel in edit mode (color red).
Why this locking ? I dont understand . How to create a launcher on the task bar ?
(Sory for my english, bit I am French from Bordeaux )
Thank you for the explanations.
:?
Last edited by Mike33 on Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike33 - France - Cinnamon 5.8.4 - LM 21.2 - CM azus Z97-A - CG geforce 1060
Mike33
Level 1
Level 1

[RESOLU] How to add a folder menu on the task bar?

Post by Mike33 »

Hi,
It is not very simple like in others distribs. I take a long time to find the trick ...
You must click right on the menu applet (down left) then click left on configure and then open menu editor.
You have to create a launcher in this menu at the good place (of your choice) .
To insert it into the task bar you make a right clic on the new applet to see the possibility to add it to the task bar .
It will be nice to simplify this process ...
Have a good day,
Mike33
Mike33 - France - Cinnamon 5.8.4 - LM 21.2 - CM azus Z97-A - CG geforce 1060

Return to “Compiz, Conky, Docks & Widgets”