Compiz-Lost Desktop Settings

Add functionality to your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Compiz-Lost Desktop Settings

Post by pcpunk »

I was having some issues with Compiz after making some other changes. I reversed those changes, went into the Package Manager > Did a Complete Removal of Compiz, reinstalled, and now am missing the "Desktop Settings" application. I was wanting to play around with Compiz some more but cannot switch over to compiz in Desktop Settings. How do I get Desktop setting back? I looked around for a way to no avail.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
HP Compaq nx7400, Cinnamon 19.2
Intel R Core™2CPU, T5500@1.66GHz, 4GB Crucial RAM
Super Clean Runs Perfect
raptir

Re: Compiz-Lost Desktop Settings

Post by raptir »

If you think you have Compiz setup properly, you can switch to it by opening the run dialog (alt-f2 by default) and running:

Code: Select all

compiz --replace
This will only take effect until you reboot, so it is a good way to check if your compiz is well configured before committing to it.

To get the desktop settings application back, install the mintdesktop package.
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

raptir, the compiz --replace did not work, the Terminal jammed up, again, me thinks the OS is damaged. I'm planning on re-installing tonight or tomorrow. I had some other issues also as you might have seen in my posts - so I think this will clear it all up. I was testing out some things that apparently - should not be doing LOL. Now I am considering a dual boot with Mate, and Mate LOL, and using one of them for a test bed, what do you think of this approach?

Recently I thought I would use my drive for Virtualbox, so installed one Mint accross the whole 80HDD. But now I am thinking to go the route stated above. I don't really know how well VB replicates what would happen with an HDD Install so think I will dual-boot Mate. I will test with the install at the end of drive - so if there is an issue I can re-install easy. One thing I am not sure about is: If I install the test OS to /root alone, one partition, will it create "swap" even if I put a swap file at the end or after /root of the first OS? The test OS will also be a much smaller single partition maybe 15GB or even smaller. The Main OS will be "/root" "swap" and "home/". Would love to hear your opinion if you have time.

Thanks for the directions for the "Desktop Settings" install information, that's what I needed and knew it was simple but I am still kinda new to all this.

Thanks pcpunk!
Super Clean Runs Perfect
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

Hey guys, I also saw this here, it suggests doing this to fix compiz.
"If things go wrong, remove ~/.config/compiz-1 for Linux Mint to regenerate it automatically."

Even though I probably need to re-install, I would love to know how to do this. Exactly what command goes into terminal for this to work?
Super Clean Runs Perfect
raptir

Post by raptir »

pcpunk wrote:raptir, the compiz --replace did not work, the Terminal jammed up, again, me thinks the OS is damaged. I'm planning on re-installing tonight or tomorrow. I had some other issues also as you might have seen in my posts - so I think this will clear it all up. I was testing out some things that apparently - should not be doing LOL. Now I am considering a dual boot with Mate, and Mate LOL, and using one of them for a test bed, what do you think of this approach?
You shouldn't even have a terminal open. You use the run dialog (by pressing alt+f2). That runs a single command without opening a terminal. The reason your terminal is "jamming up" is that when you run "compiz --replace" in a terminal you spawn a process that takes over the terminal. If you close the terminal you kill the compiz process.
pcpunk wrote:Hey guys, I also saw this here, it suggests doing this to fix compiz.
"If things go wrong, remove ~/.config/compiz-1 for Linux Mint to regenerate it automatically."

Even though I probably need to re-install, I would love to know how to do this. Exactly what command goes into terminal for this to work?
The terminal command would be

Code: Select all

rm -r ~/.config/compiz-1
rm is the remove command, -r tells it to do the remove recursively (so, delete all files and the directory in a non-empty directory).

But you could also just use your file manager to delete the directory. Hit ctrl-h to show hidden files (files/folders preceded by a . are hidden in Linux). The "~" means "your home directory."

Edit: And it's pretty hard to hose your system thoroughly enough that you have to reinstall just from trying to use compiz.
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

I see, the alt+f2 thing did not seem to be working for me but is now. I don't need it though if I just want to use the "Desktop Setting" right, this was just an alternative?

I think my system got damaged by doing a Hibernation hack to turn off Hibernation. This messed up my laptop running off the battery, then the Author of this hack asked me to go to a new Kernel to try and fix it. I went to the new Kernel but was still having issues, so I went back to the original Kernal and removed the Hibernation hack also. So as you can see it was not just Compiz, or not Compiz at all, but a few things that could have buggered it up.

Thanks for all the work raptir, I am going to try the rm -r ~/.config/compiz-1 command before I re-install for sure.

I do need to do something different to avoid tinkering issues, so what is you opinion on the dual boot with Mate and Mate?

See ya pcpunk!
Super Clean Runs Perfect
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

I tried this command and it did not work: rm -r ~/.config/compiz-1

I also tried the one from lm.com: remove ~/.config/compiz-1 and tried it without the "remove" also.

And, I tried ctrl-h but that just brought me into chrome History. Is it just crtl+h or is the "-" somehow need to be included?

Not having to re-install would be great! Then I might just install another Mate-64bit at end of drive.

Thanks pcpunk!
Super Clean Runs Perfect
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

I meant to also post this Terminal outcome:
chris@chris-HP-Compaq-nx7400-EN352UTR-ABA ~ $ rm -r ~/.config/compiz-1
chris@chris-HP-Compaq-nx7400-EN352UTR-ABA ~ $ remove ~/.config/compiz-1
remove: command not found
chris@chris-HP-Compaq-nx7400-EN352UTR-ABA ~ $ ~/.config/compiz-1
bash: /home/chris/.config/compiz-1: No such file or directory
rm: cannot remove ‘/home/chris/.config/compiz-1’: No such file or directory
Super Clean Runs Perfect
raptir

Post by raptir »

pcpunk wrote:I meant to also post this Terminal outcome:
chris@chris-HP-Compaq-nx7400-EN352UTR-ABA ~ $ remove ~/.config/compiz-1
remove: command not found
chris@chris-HP-Compaq-nx7400-EN352UTR-ABA ~ $ ~/.config/compiz-1
bash: /home/chris/.config/compiz-1: No such file or directory
rm: cannot remove ‘/home/chris/.config/compiz-1’: No such file or directory
The command did work. rm won't return anything if it is successful. "remove" is not a terminal command, in the other post he was telling you to "remove" the folder, as in just the verb not any sort of computer command. The fact that they second time you tried to remove it it said there was no such file or directory means that it was successfully removed the first time.
pcpunk wrote:And, I tried ctrl-h but that just brought me into chrome History. Is it just crtl+h or is the "-" somehow need to be included?
You need to press ctrl+h while you have your file manager (called "caja" in MATE) open, not Chrome.
pcpunk wrote:I do need to do something different to avoid tinkering issues, so what is you opinion on the dual boot with Mate and Mate?
If you think some other things might be messed up it might not be a bad idea to reinstall. Honestly, hibernation can be touchy and I really don't recommend it (in Linux or Windows). It doesn't save you much time over powering off, and if you're going to be using your laptop again soon suspend is more appropriate.

You could do a dual-boot of two Linux Mint installs, or you could always install in a Virtual Machine (VirtualBox works great) to play around with it.
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

Cool raptir, thanks. I have laptop set to suspend, but the author's idea is that it will sometimes revert on it's own, or when some system changes are done and one forgets to check it. Mine seems to stay in Suspend so good for now. I WILL re-install as I am having some other issues too.

I checked Compiz after doing the command and it was the same. Like if I open up the terminal there won't be an X in the upper right corner to Close the program, and many other windows will come up that way. They will also come up to high and one cannot grab and move them from the top as usual.

I'm all good for now thanks for the help!
Super Clean Runs Perfect
raptir

Post by raptir »

pcpunk wrote:Cool raptir, thanks. I have laptop set to suspend, but the author's idea is that it will sometimes revert on it's own, or when some system changes are done and one forgets to check it. Mine seems to stay in Suspend so good for now. I WILL re-install as I am having some other issues too.

I checked Compiz after doing the command and it was the same. Like if I open up the terminal there won't be an X in the upper right corner to Close the program, and many other windows will come up that way. They will also come up to high and one cannot grab and move them from the top as usual.

I'm all good for now thanks for the help!
Open up Compiz Config Settings Manager and make sure Window Decoration and Window Placement are enabled.
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

The "Window Decoration" is ticked but I don't see any "Window Placement" I do however see "Place Windows", is that what you meant? because it is not ticked.

Edit: I checked "Place Windows" and signed out and signed back, then choose Wobbly Windows, signed out and back in, o-boy lol, and it is working now. I did not want to work at first but signing out and back in helped. I won't play with it to much until I get my situation straightened out. Whoohoo! thanks raptir and others.

pcpunk out!
Super Clean Runs Perfect
raptir

Post by raptir »

Yeah, place windows, sorry. Glad it seems to be working. Some settings will take effect immediately with CCSM but others require you to log out.
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

Quite a few of the functions are not working, and am having other issues so am going to re-install and report back. I learned alot though so thanks again for the help. I really like being able to use this OS as well as possible, and, love this kind of feature. I am going to install Timeshift and maybe even a dual boot so that I can recover and test stuff out better!
Super Clean Runs Perfect

Return to “Compiz, Conky, Docks & Widgets”