Can't find Conky or System Monitor

Add functionality to your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
UserError
Level 2
Level 2

Can't find Conky or System Monitor

Post by UserError »

Hi,
I'm a Linux newbie.
I installed Conky - it shows I have in Synaptic Manager, but I can't access it. Maybe it's not what I was expecting: I am trying to get a system monitor. I think that there is one ready installed (like the Windows task manager?), but I can't find that either. I thought I had seen it a while ago, but I presume I have broken it somehow...

I did get something rudimentary running (typing conky in a terminal) and I just a black box reporting on stuff, with no way of interacting etc.

Please can anyone give me any pointers on how I can reinstate the System Monitor, or add a front-end to the Conky I can run?
Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nomko

Re: Can't find Conky or System Monitor

Post by nomko »

Hi, take a look herE: http://www.teejeetech.in/p/conky-manager.html.
This application makes it esy for users to have a conky on their desktop.
There's also a theme pack with more conky's to use
Good luck!
Adelante

Post by Adelante »

I second Conky Manager. It's very helpful.
myrkat
Level 2
Level 2

Post by myrkat »

UserError wrote:Hi,
I'm a Linux newbie.
I installed Conky - it shows I have in Synaptic Manager, but I can't access it. Maybe it's not what I was expecting: I am trying to get a system monitor. I think that there is one ready installed (like the Windows task manager?), but I can't find that either. I thought I had seen it a while ago, but I presume I have broken it somehow...

I did get something rudimentary running (typing conky in a terminal) and I just a black box reporting on stuff, with no way of interacting etc.

Please can anyone give me any pointers on how I can reinstate the System Monitor, or add a front-end to the Conky I can run?
Thank you.
What you downloaded and installed is the program that runs SCRIPTS. Conky Scripts are what you now need to get. Then you can "conky -c <location-and-name-of-script>" to load it.

You can also check out conky.sourceforge.net for the minimal docs, etc. If Conky Manager is enough for you (it is for many) then try that.
Main Comp: i7-4770K @ 3.5GHz + nVidia 760GTX + 16GB RAM + SSD + HDD²
Linux Mint 17.2 - KDE 4.14.2 - kernel 3.16.0-38-generic
Join me and become a Linux Mint Community Sponsor and share some love! (for as little as USD$20 a month)
EmpireITtech

Post by EmpireITtech »

I third Conky Manager! lol :mrgreen:

To use, first do this:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-add-repository -y ppa:teejee2008/ppa
Second do this:

sudo apt-get update
Third and last do this:

sudo apt-get install conky-manager
Then anytime you need to upgrade it (it doesn't get upgraded all that often), you just run the last step again unless you have it automatically updating. Once you've installed it, you'll have an icon in "Accessories" menu (at least in Cinnamon that's where it is) that you can open and easily use your Conkys. Just make sure you select the option to "Run Conky at System Startup" so it'll start your Conkys every time you reboot automatically :lol:

Let us know if you have questions, thanks!
UserError
Level 2
Level 2

Post by UserError »

Ha! Found this again & now got it working. Thank you.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

UserError wrote: I think that there is one ready installed (like the Windows task manager?), but I can't find that either.
Depends on your desktop environment. In Cinnamon, it's listed under Administration. Or you can just type 'syst' in the menu search field and see what comes up.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Compiz, Conky, Docks & Widgets”