"wobbly windows" only works sometimes when arranging windows

Add functionality to your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
linx255
Level 5
Level 5

"wobbly windows" only works sometimes when arranging windows

Post by linx255 »

Hi,

I'm using Mint 17 Mate 64-bit, with Intel NCU / HD 4400 graphics.

When I activate a grid function to re-arrange the windows sometimes they slide and wobble and other times they instantly snap into position and are completely stiff.

It's nice when effects perform consistently. And they are more than just for bedazzlement; I find they actually help with productivity by reducing strain on my eyes, and making it easier to track where windows are going and which windows are being covered up.

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
- I'm running Mint 18 Mate 64-bit
- 4.15.0-34-generic x86_64
- All my bash scripts begin with #!/bin/bash
Enkouyami
Level 1
Level 1

Re: "wobbly windows" only works sometimes with "grid" arrang

Post by Enkouyami »

It seems to work fine for me. Make sure you don't have Snapping Windows and Wobbly Windows both on since Wobby Windows already has snapping. Also make sure you don't conflicting key bindings. Normally when one turns on the Grid plugin, you get these warning:
The new value for the key binding for the action Restore in plugin Grid conflicts with the action Unmaximize or Minimize Window of the General Options plugin.
Do you wish to disable Unmaximize or Minimize Window in the General Options plugin?
The new value for the key binding for the action Put Center Key in plugin Grid conflicts with the action Toggle Window Maximized of the General Options plugin.
Do you wish to disable Toggle Window Maximized in the General Options plugin?
If you didn't, you might have it set up without conflicts and you're experiencing a different issu, or you need to disable & re-enabling Grid then resolve the conflicts.
linx255
Level 5
Level 5

Re: "wobbly windows" only works sometimes when arranging win

Post by linx255 »

I noticed it only wobbles if I maximize first, and then immediately use 'grid' bindkeys. If I wait until after the window is done wobbling from maximizing, then windows do not wobble with 'grid' bindkeys. With snap now uninstalled I wonder are there any other plugins that could be interfering. It seems like a bug. Strange you can't reproduce it. Perhaps effects vary with graphics drivers. :?:
- I'm running Mint 18 Mate 64-bit
- 4.15.0-34-generic x86_64
- All my bash scripts begin with #!/bin/bash
Enkouyami
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Enkouyami »

linx255 wrote:I noticed it only wobbles if I maximize first, and then immediately use 'grid' bindkeys. If I wait until after the window is done wobbling from maximizing, then windows do not wobble with 'grid' bindkeys. With snap now uninstalled I wonder are there any other plugins that could be interfering. It seems like a bug. Strange you can't reproduce it. Perhaps effects vary with graphics drivers. :?:
Maybe. Anyway, here's my settings file http://pastebin.com/3d3L9Qni. I hope that you'll eventually get your setup working properly.
linx255
Level 5
Level 5

Post by linx255 »

Thanks for the pastebin! I no longer have the snap plugin installed, but it made no difference.

Are you sure we using the same compiz package and Mint 17 Mate 64-bit version? I don't have 'Mate+Emerald-CCSM.profile' or any '.profile' files with those settings. I find it strange you have this file unless you have customized Compiz to use that filename or have a theme that uses a different directory structure. My only Compiz settings file is '~/.config/compiz-1/compizconfig/Default.ini' which shows I have some of the same plugins and some different. At this point debugging by testing all the combinations of configurations would be tedious, so I'm just hoping to find more clues for now.

√ = plugins we have in common
X = plugins you have and I do not
[] = I have and you do not

animation √
[commands]
compiztoolbox √
[composite] √
copytex √
core √
crashhandler X
cube √
cubeaddon X