[solved] Compiz : config reseting all the time

Add functionality to your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ERwan

[solved] Compiz : config reseting all the time

Post by ERwan »

Hello world.

I installed Compiz on LinuxMint-16 Mate 64bit.
It works globally well, but the Application Switcher (and a couple of other plugins, but not all of them) keep desactivating everytime I restart my computer or when I re-run CompizConfig Settings Manager.

Does anyone has an idea of how to fix this issue.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Compiz : config reseting all the time

Post by Fornhamfred »

Have you set it up in Control Centre startup applicationss?
ERwan

Post by ERwan »

Hello Fornhamfred.
Yes, Compiz is amoung the startup applications, and many of its plugins actually work. But switcher (Alt+Tab) doesn't.
Honest Mistake

Post by Honest Mistake »

Yeah, I had this problem as well. It looks like compiz settings get reset to some default all the time. To clear the problem, open ccsm and just click on "Preferences" or "Advanced Search" (not sure which one was it). This is likely going to crash compiz, but once it gets running again you can put your settings and ccsm will remember them. Just don't ask me why this works because hell if I know. Maybe some kind of permission problem with config files or something.
ERwan

Post by ERwan »

Hi "Honest Mistake", and thanks for your tip.

The correct crashing button was "Preferences" ! It solved the problem for me too.
If anyone encounters the same issue, I recommend writing down which plugins are activated before crashing Compiz : because the crash will cause all the plugins to be disabled (even the most basic ones, such as moving windows). It took me some time to reset all properly.

Even if the solution is weird, I guess the topic is solved.
Thanks again, Honest Mistake.
Honest Mistake

Re: [solved] Compiz : config reseting all the time

Post by Honest Mistake »

Whoops, sorry about not warning you of this possibly also clearing all settings in the ccsm. It didn't happen to me this time on either of my two machines, but I do remember this happening when I tried the same trick on Mint 15. I guess I thought at least this part of the bug got fixed this time if not the whole problem. Anyway, I'm glad it worked out for you as well.

Return to “Compiz, Conky, Docks & Widgets”