Conky showing 3 cores active on a 2 core cpu?

Add functionality to your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ChriS89

Conky showing 3 cores active on a 2 core cpu?

Post by ChriS89 »

Hello!

chris@chris-laptop:~ > cat /sys/devices/platform/coretemp.0/temp2_input
chris@chris-laptop:~ > cat /sys/devices/platform/coretemp.0/temp3_input
chris@chris-laptop:~ > cat /sys/devices/platform/compal-laptop/temp1_input
chris@chris-laptop:~ > cat /sys/devices/platform/compal-laptop/temp2_input
chris@chris-laptop:~ > cat /sys/devices/platform/compal-laptop/temp2_label
CPU_TEMP_LOCAL
chris@chris-laptop:~ > cat /sys/devices/platform/compal-laptop/temp1_label
CPU_TEMP
Which r good? I have laptop Compal KHLB2 with T9600 processor ( dual core ). In conky i have usage of processors cpu0 cpu1 cpu2 and cpu3 shows 0.. Why i have there 3 proc?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: CPU Sensors

Post by xenopeek »

No clue what I'm looking at. What does the `sensors` command give you?
ChriS89

Post by ChriS89 »

Hi again, i didnt know that is command "sensors" :) now is everything good, so coretemp.0 is that good temperature.. But i dont know what is that: CPU_TEMP: +35.0°C
CPU_TEMP_LOCAL: +46.0°C.

Code: Select all

chris@chris-laptop:~ > cat /sys/devices/platform/coretemp.0/temp2_input 
chris@chris-laptop:~ > cat /sys/devices/platform/coretemp.0/temp3_input
chris@chris-laptop:~ > cat /sys/devices/platform/compal-laptop/temp1_input 
chris@chris-laptop:~ > cat /sys/devices/platform/compal-laptop/temp2_input                 
46000                                                                                            
chris@chris-laptop:~ > sensors
compal-laptop-isa-0000                                                                             
Adapter: ISA adapter                                                                                
fan1:           4000 RPM                                                                              
CPU_TEMP:        +35.0°C                                                                                 
CPU_TEMP_LOCAL:  +46.0°C                                                                                   
CPU_DTS:          +0.0°C                                                                                     
NorthBridge:      +0.0°C                                                                                       
VGA_TEMP:        +67.0°C                                                                                          
SKIN_TEMP90:      +0.0°C  

compal-laptop-virtual-0
Adapter: Virtual device
temp1:        +27.7°C  

coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Core 0:       +37.0°C  (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 1:       +37.0°C  (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)

chris@chris-laptop:~ > 
And the Conky problem:

${GOTO 50}${font}Avg use: ${font Monofur:size=6}${cpu cpu0}% ${GOTO 175}${font}Freq: ${font Monofur:size=6}${freq_g (0)} Ghz
${GOTO 50}${font}Avg use: ${font Monofur:size=6}${cpu cpu1}% ${GOTO 175}${font}Freq: ${font Monofur:size=6}${freq_g (1)} Ghz
${GOTO 50}${font}Avg use: ${font Monofur:size=6}${cpu cpu2}% ${GOTO 175}${font}Freq: ${font Monofur:size=6}${freq_g (2)} Ghz
${GOTO 50}${font}Avg use: ${font Monofur:size=6}${cpu cpu3}% ${GOTO 175}${font}Freq: ${font Monofur:size=6}${freq_g (3)} Ghz
[img]http://images61.fotosik.pl/392/31352d50964add7f.jpg[/img]

Where is problem? I have 2 cores, so why i get something from CPU2? Which 2 from that 3 are real?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

I was focusing a bit too much on your topic subject "CPU Sensors", skipped the part where you are asking about CPU utilization and why cpu3 is not showing. Oops, but at least you have another handy command for checking all temperature sensors :)

Suggest you install the package sysstat to check this. Then run the command:

mpstat -P ALL
That will report CPU utilization for your processor and each (virtual) core individually. See if that looks proper.
ChriS89

Post by ChriS89 »

Hehe im not asking why cpu3 is not showing, i have 2 cores so im asking why cpu2 shows?

hris@chris-laptop:~ > mpstat -P ALL
Linux 3.8.0-26-generic (chris-laptop)   19.11.2013      _x86_64_        (2 CPU)

00:24:50     CPU    %usr   %nice    %sys %iowait    %irq   %soft  %steal  %guest   %idle
00:24:50     all   36,13    0,12    5,50    1,14    0,00    0,93    0,00    0,00   56,18
00:24:50       0   35,60    0,12    5,54    1,14    0,00    1,61    0,00    0,00   55,99
00:24:50       1   36,67    0,12    5,45    1,15    0,00    0,24    0,00    0,00   56,37
So my Mint see 3 processors?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Ah, I had assumed this processor had perhaps hyper-threading and so would this display 2 cores as 4 and you were only seeing 3 active. Now the plot thickens but I think this is no longer a hardware question and now turns into a conky question. Why is conky reporting the number of processors incorrectly? So moving this to conky forum.

Run this command, how many cpus does that report?

ls -d /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu?
ChriS89

Re: Conky showing 3 cores active on a 2 core cpu?

Post by ChriS89 »

Hmmm so you have good assumed, i have hyperthreading: http://ark.intel.com/products/35562/Intel-Core2-Duo-Processor-T9400-6M-Cache-2_53-GHz-1066-MHz-FSB
Anyway i dont understand, hyperthreading make in idle less MHz so why he should showing 4 processors when i have just 2 cores?

chris@chris-laptop:~ > ls -d /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu?
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0  /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1
chris@chris-laptop:~ > 
Last edited by ChriS89 on Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

I think you misread that page, it says you don't have HT:

Intel® Hyper-Threading Technology ‡		No
As for what HT is, that's noted there shortly as so:
Intel® Hyper-Threading Technology (Intel® HT Technology) delivers two processing threads per physical core. Highly threaded applications can get more work done in parallel, completing tasks sooner.
The output from the command I suggested you to run confirms that Linux only sees two cores on your processor. Why the last two lines of, I assume, your Conky configuration show any output IDK:

{GOTO 50}${font}Avg use: ${font Monofur:size=6}${cpu cpu2}% ${GOTO 175}${font}Freq: ${font Monofur:size=6}${freq_g (2)} Ghz
${GOTO 50}${font}Avg use: ${font Monofur:size=6}${cpu cpu3}% ${GOTO 175}${font}Freq: ${font Monofur:size=6}${freq_g (3)} Ghz
Why not just remove these two lines and be done with it. It sounds like a bug in Conky that it is showing any output for these.
ChriS89

Post by ChriS89 »

Hehe because that is that easy way ;) i was thinking that is problem with something in my system. Ok i remove the two lines, now i need just confirmation of that and im done:

And that alt question, what is that, from where is that temp?

CPU_TEMP:        +42.0°C  
CPU_TEMP_LOCAL:  +51.0°C

compal-laptop-virtual-0
Adapter: Virtual device
temp1:        +26.5°C  
I assume that the three bottom r wrong and i need to look at coretemp?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

You motherboard and CPU both generally have multiple temperature and fan speed sensors. Read up in the manual of your motherboard what sensors it has. If you can't deduce from that what this temperature sensor would be for, you could write the numbers down or take a photo, and reboot and go into your BIOS. Usually you can view all the temperature and fan speed sensors in the BIOS also. Then line up the temperature values with what you see in the BIOS, and perhaps in the BIOS it will have a more clear label for this.

If you haven't done so, run the following command and follow the instructions at the end. This will detect if there are any more sensors on your computer that could be polled by the `sensors` command if additional kernel modules were loaded.

sudo sensors-detect
If there are any additional kernel modules to load for your computer, reboot after the changes are made to get more complete sensors output.
ChriS89

Post by ChriS89 »

So i will do, thanks for u great help!

Return to “Compiz, Conky, Docks & Widgets”