Why is compiz included in Mint/Cinnamon?

Add functionality to your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dee.

Why is compiz included in Mint/Cinnamon?

Post by dee. »

Cinnamon uses Muffin, so why is the package installed in the Cinnamon version of Mint? Is it safe to remove?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
passerby

Re: Why is compiz included in Mint/Cinnamon?

Post by passerby »

Should be. Try removing compiz and see if it attempts to bring a bunch of other packages along with it.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

dee. wrote:why is the package installed in the Cinnamon version of Mint?
It isn't. You are mistaken... unless perhaps you have a very old version, but you didn't state what version you have.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
cwsnyder

Post by cwsnyder »

Compiz is not included, but Cinnamon DOES require a compositor for your screen. It inherits its requirement from GNOME which it is derived from.
dee.

Post by dee. »

Not a very old version, unless you count the latest LTS (with backported packages) very old.

I know I haven't installed Compiz myself, and I don't know of any software that should have pulled it in, I don't have any other DE's installed on this machine.

Yet the package is there, and the first mention of it I can find in Synaptic history is an upgrade event, which would seem to indicate that it was included with the distro...
passerby

Post by passerby »

The LTS isn't that old, but before applying all of those updates, Mint 13 ships with 1.4. So yeah, old version by default.
dee.

Post by dee. »

passerby wrote:The LTS isn't that old, but before applying all of those updates, Mint 13 ships with 1.4. So yeah, old version by default.
But what does even Cinnamon 1.4 need Compiz for?
eanfrid

Post by eanfrid »

For nothing. Compiz does not work with Cinnamon/Gnome Shell.
dee.

Post by dee. »

Right, so why is the package included with it?

Return to “Compiz, Conky, Docks & Widgets”