Multiple conky not working

Add functionality to your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Lebrontron

Multiple conky not working

Post by Lebrontron »

I am trying to run this [url]http://didi79.deviantart.com/art/conky-config-127651851[/url] conky. It has 2 .conkyrc files and a few other files including some .sh ones. I have put a script in my ~/bin folder named conky_start and made it executable which has the following code:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
sleep 20
conky -c ~/.conky/.conkyrc_1 &
conky -c ~/.conky/.conkyrc_2
Needless to say .conkyrc_1 and .conkyrc_2 are the two conkyrc files and I have stored them in the ~/.conky folder. I have also made an entry in Startup Applications which has name Conky and command (pointing to the file in ~/bin):

conky_start

Now my question is, where do the files other than the two conkyrc files go? In the ~/bin folder or inside the ~/.conly folder? Is the placement of files I've described the right one for running multiple conkies at once? I've googled a lot about this and I'm only getting confused with everything I've read, tried my luck by placing every file in both ~/bin and ~/.conky but to no gain. I've also done a lot of hit and trial stuff with the location, naming of files etc but conky doesn't start when I boot my system, it does sometimes though when I login after logging out.

Any help would be appreciated! Peace.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Habitual

Re: Multiple conky not working

Post by Habitual »

you could also lose the sleep 20 command and use (in conky_start)

conky -p 20 -c ~/.conky/.conkyrc_1 &
conky -p 20 -c ~/.conky/.conkyrc_1 &

ls -al ~/bin/conky_start
output please.
It may need to be made +x, so

chmod 700 ~/bin/conky_start
Then test is with

~/bin/conky_start

Re: conkyrc files and directories, they can go anywhere you tell them to ;)

the individual directives in those rc files should point to valid resources in their proper locations.

i.e., I have all my (100s) "conkies" under /home/jj/Documents/Archives/Conky
each conkyrc file I use with have /path/to/some/resource, such as
/home/jj/Documents/Archives/Conky/Panel/panel has a

${font DejaVu Sans Mono:size=9}${execpi 3600 /home/JJ/Documents/Conky/Calendar/calendar.sh -l en|sed 's/^/\${goto 376}/'}$font${goto 100}${font DejaVu Sans Mono:size=9}${color3}$font
Don't use other people's scripts without reviewing and understanding the contents of .sh file they may include.
Lebrontron

Post by Lebrontron »

Not working . Output of the command:

$ ls -al ~/bin/conky_start
-rwxr-xr-x 1 vishal vishal 86 Oct  3 02:26 /home/vishal/bin/conky_start
Running

~/bin/conky_start
gives the errors:

Conky: Conky: /home/vishal/.conky/.conkyrc_1: 5: no such configuration: 'border_margin'/home/vishal/.conky/.conkyrc_2: 5: no such configuration: 'border_margin'

Conky: llua_load: cannot open /home/vishal/.conky/lua.lua: No such file or directory
and more later including some mpd ones but I think the conky should at least show up with the parts that are working. or maybe not? Help :?
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

Terminal >

conky -version
output please.
How was it installed?

Ultimately, unless you are very good at script coding and debugging this, it is not going to work, (using someone else's conkyrcs and luas),
and it is very difficult to walk a newcomer to scripting through such techniques.

Sorry it didn't work out.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=867076
http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/48
Lebrontron

Post by Lebrontron »

No problem Habitual. For the time being I'm using a different conky config and it's working fine. Thank you for your input!
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

[url=http://conky.pitstop.free.fr/wiki/index.php5?title=Main_Page]The definitive source for conky customization[/url]

Return to “Compiz, Conky, Docks & Widgets”