More space between icons how?

Add functionality to your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Witch

Post by Witch »

See my 320+ pixel wide screenshot for better clarification.

[url]http://i1289.removed/albums/b503/allergic2facebook/Linux_Mint/More_space_between_Icons_zps9c35c8e0.png[/url]
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: More space between icons how?

Post by xenopeek »

I don't think you can configure the spacing between panel launcher icons currently. You can increase the height of your panel, and that will increase the size of your panel launcher icons if that will help.

Of course, the panel launcher is just an applet written in Javascript + CSS. So you could edit the source code to achieve this if you know a bit about web programming. The applet is in:

Code: Select all

/usr/share/cinnamon/applets/panel-launchers@cinnamon.org
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

Actually this is controlled by the theme. It looks like you are using the stock Linux Mint theme from what I can see in the screenshot. Go to /usr/share/themes and look for the folder named Linux Mint. Right click the folder and choose copy. Now navigate back to your /home directory and and copy the folder inside of the .themes directory. If you don't have one just create it. Rename the copied Linux Mint folder to something of your choice. Inside of it you will find a file called cinnamon.css. Open that file in gedit. on line 1949 you will see something like this:

.panel-launcher {
margin: 1px;
padding: 1px;
}

Change it to look like this:

.panel-launcher {
margin: 1px;
padding: 1px;
padding-right: 4px;
padding-left: 4px;
}

The padding left and right will control the spacing between the icons. Adjust to taste and save the file. Go to your settings and choose the the theme you just made to see the effect. If you make changes while you already have the new theme active you will have to restart cinnamon each time you make a change to see the effect.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Duh, of course :) Thanks JosephM, the CSS bit is indeed in the theme.

Return to “Compiz, Conky, Docks & Widgets”