Compiz in MINT 15 Cinnamon?

Add functionality to your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mattrixx
Level 3
Level 3

Compiz in MINT 15 Cinnamon?

Post by mattrixx »

I have come from MINT12 where I had Compiz set just to my liking, with great add-on animations with rotating 3D cubes and spheres, burning, exploding, disapearing you name it!
Now I have installed Compiz to my new MINT15 Cinnamon and I cant seem to get ANYTHING to work, even after downloading every and all available compiz add-ons!
Is this just me, or is MINT15 Cinnamon the problem? If so, which new version or distro is capable or supported?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Compiz in MINT 15 Cinnamon?

Post by xenopeek »

Compiz doesn't work with Cinnamon. If you must have Compiz, I'd recommend MATE instead of Cinnamon. Compiz can also be made to work on Xfce, though that requires more work on your part, or on KDE but as KDE already has its own desktop effects for wobbly windows, desktop cubes, and so on, that is a bit pointless in my opinion. If you search for "compiz" on the Community site tutorials, here http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/search, you will find at least one tutorial for enabling Compiz on Linux Mint 15 MATE (but the others there may be helpful also if you run into problems).
slashdeaf

Post by slashdeaf »

I can confirm that compiz on MATE is working fine. I am running LM 15 with MATE and used this tutorial to make it all work :

http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1298
mattrixx
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mattrixx »

Hi slashdeaf and thanks for your reply :)

Does your working Compiz using MINT15 "MATE" include ALL the "extra" animations like "explode", "fire" and "airplane" etc?
slashdeaf

Post by slashdeaf »

Hi Matrixx,

I have to say that my working compiz was never tested beyond the wobbly windows and the desktop cube. :)
I had it on my desktop for about 2 days...then I reverted back to ¨normal¨ mode... :wink:

Return to “Compiz, Conky, Docks & Widgets”