Compiz - d-bus or not d-bus for translucency?

Add functionality to your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
PussyCat

Compiz - d-bus or not d-bus for translucency?

Post by PussyCat »

Having experimented with Mate and Cinnamon versions of LM13, I finally decided that Xfce + Compiz (another thread) gets me closest to the desired look and feel (including decent Windows Decoration which was the hardest to acheive!).

I am left with one minor irratation. My preference is to have all windows but the focused (ie current) window partially transparent which works fine during a session. However, at the next session transparency (except move) is lost. Normality is restored by checking/unchecking d-bus in ccsm- what it has to do with it I don't understand?

I've also tried various combinations of d-bus and session management but to no avail.

The latter was also tried in the hope of curing the annoyance of windows not remembering their size/position (with the exception of Firefox and Opera) but suspect that may be more of an Xfce limitation (and/or lazy programming)?

[In Task Manager there are 2 entries for dbus -

"dbus-daemon --fork --print-pid 5 --print-address 9 --session"
and
"dbus-launch --exit-with-session x-session-manager".

The latter may give some indication to the problem?]
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
PussyCat

Re: Compiz - d-bus or not d-bus?

Post by PussyCat »

Further observation suggests that d-bus may not be guilty - though I'm still not sure about it's purpose as a Compiz option?

If I logout then login, normality is restored. So it would seem that restarting the xserver is the issue since it would be appear check or uncheck d-bus also does that.

Why does the translucency effect not start at initial boot?

Return to “Compiz, Conky, Docks & Widgets”