Cinnamon not loading

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DirkQuixote

Cinnamon not loading

Post by DirkQuixote »

Hello Everyone!

I am fairly new to linux. I just recently installed Mint 12 alongside Windows XP on an old Dell computer of mine. The Gnome classic desktop workes fine, but when I installed Cinnamon and tried loading it, all I got was a screen with nothing but the Linuxmint background. Right-click didn't work. I was able to log out by Ctr-Alt-Delete, but nothing else worked. No icons, nothing. I installed Linux Mint on a newer computer and didn't have this problem, and I really like the Cinnamon desktop. If anyone could help me fix this, I would appreciate it. Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tfdjim

Re: Cinnamon not loading

Post by tfdjim »

DirkQuixote wrote:Hello Everyone!

I am fairly new to linux. I just recently installed Mint 12 alongside Windows XP on an old Dell computer of mine. The Gnome classic desktop workes fine, but when I installed Cinnamon and tried loading it, all I got was a screen with nothing but the Linuxmint background. Right-click didn't work. I was able to log out by Ctr-Alt-Delete, but nothing else worked. No icons, nothing. I installed Linux Mint on a newer computer and didn't have this problem, and I really like the Cinnamon desktop. If anyone could help me fix this, I would appreciate it. Thanks!
Could be an issue w/ the graphics subsystem on your old Dell. Gnome 3/Cinnamon needs hardware 3D acceleration and 128MB of video memory. If the on-board graphics/graphics card in your Dell doesn't have these capabilities, Cinnamon won't run.

Return to “Cinnamon”