Cinnamon & Workspaces

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SidharthaXx

Cinnamon & Workspaces

Post by SidharthaXx »

Hi All,

First question, how I do I set up workspaces on Mint...?

Second question, can I have a hot corner where I move the mouse to and it exposes all my workspaces as KDE does or OS X?

Many Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Lumikki
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Cinnamon & Workspaces

Post by Lumikki »

You workspace is the right lower corner. Number 1 is this desktop what you see now, the empy box is new one. Every time you put something running in the empty workspace, it opens new empty for you.
I don't think you can actually yet see workspaces anywhere else in Cinnamon, than that lower panel corner. But I'm just six week newbie, so what I know is very limited.
Asus P7P55D, i5 750 2.6Ghz, 8GB DDR3, GeForce 750Ti, 80GB Intel SSD, Dell 1600x1200, Dual boot, Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon, Windows 7
SidharthaXx

Post by SidharthaXx »

Thanks. Yeah I realised that the 1 & 2 were for that... but it's a very clunky way to handle workspaces.

If cinnamon can't handle them more elegantly yet, surely it's in the works?! ;-)
Lumikki
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Lumikki »

SidharthaXx wrote:If cinnamon can't handle them more elegantly yet, surely it's in the works?! ;-)
I hope so, I have seen few user what are more interested to use sertain constant workspaces.

Like more permanent workspaces, than this dynamic ways. Have example 6 permamen desktop, maybe even named and not just numbers. But Cinnamon is just so new, it takes time to it mature and get all options in Cinnamon settings.

Here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=93944
Here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=86414
Asus P7P55D, i5 750 2.6Ghz, 8GB DDR3, GeForce 750Ti, 80GB Intel SSD, Dell 1600x1200, Dual boot, Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon, Windows 7
woodsmoke

Post by woodsmoke »

Hi
I dunno.... there was a workspace down there and I right clicked on it, and got a box called "Workspace switcher preferences".

The first thing it says is "Switcher" and show only current workspace or "Show all workspaces in: "and a box for the number of rows" one can click it and the workspaces are stacked on top of each other or in a rwo.

Next is "Workspaces"

And below it is "Number of workspaces: "and a box with 1 in it, and arrows to increase of decrease number of workspaces". I clicked up to 8 and stopped. I normally run four.

The workspaces are then shown in the next box. In my case it says "Workspace and below that Workspace 2, and below that Workspace 3, and below that Workspace 4.

There is also a box for "show workspace names in switcher.

The boxes representing workspaces can be blank or have the term" "Workspace X" in it, where X = a number.

The only real criticism of it that I have is that one cannot change the name of the workspace to something like "music", one can do it, but it doesn't hold.

I would imagine that someone more experienced than I can indicate the place where these are registered in a script and once the number has been set in stone, then one could change it there.

But, I use it all the time, work on 1 music on 2, e-mail on 3 and 4 for other stuff.

woodsmoke
SidharthaXx

Post by SidharthaXx »

That's strange... because I right click down there where the workspace switcher and absolutely nothing happens.

What am I missing?
scotte

Post by scotte »

I really like the dynamic workspace count. Sometimes I want 1, sometimes I need more. This way I don't have to set it to, say 4, even though most of the time I don't use all 4. It also helps prevent from leaving stray windows on other workspaces, since a quick glance at the switcher makes it clear how many are actually in use.

As far as your comments woodsmoke - are you sure you are actually running cinnamon and not plain gnome or something else (like unity)? Or maybe you are using fallback to gnome-classic, but if that's configurable, then you aren't using cinnamon... What does "echo $DESKTOP_SESSION" show?
woodsmoke

Post by woodsmoke »

Hi
SiddhartaXx:

I am of absolutely no help on this I'm the new "kid" old guy on the block and am only a hardware and applications kinda guy.

Scotte:

I'm running the download of "Mint" with "Cinnamon 1.2" on it with all the updates that I have had offered.

The output is:

gnome-classic

I will mention that there is a lot of "mate" stuff down in Usr etc. and also that I have two "sound recorder" in audio and video. So there may be some kind of dunno "mixup" in the install. However I have never even attempted to use the Mate destkop.

If I don't "have the right thing" then please comment on that.

woodsmoke
veggen

Post by veggen »

Just wanna add that the desktop switcher was removed from the overview in Cinnamon 1.2 and will be soon replaced by a different solution.
woodsmoke

Post by woodsmoke »

hmmmmm
maybe I' running RedFlag Linux that is in a stealth mode! :)

woodsmoke
woodsmoke

Post by woodsmoke »

So...bump

is "gnome-classic" Cinnamon or do I have a rogue install?

woodsmoke
griffon

Post by griffon »

You are running gnome-classic. Log out, click the tools gear wheel, select cinnamon and log back in.
woodsmoke

Post by woodsmoke »

LOL well duuuhhhh! The ol' woodsmoker just ASSUMED!! lol

Thanks!

woodsmoke
woodsmoke

Post by woodsmoke »

Hi
Thanks for the invaluable info...I can't believe that I am so clueless!!

The workspaces show two both before and after the upgrade to Cinnamon 1.3 as per the way of increasing by adding workspaces as needed.

I, personally, like being able to pre-define them and with different wallpapers on each, it is a Compiz hold over, sorry, but it eases my workload considerably.

But, no complaints just sayin'
woodsmoke
ybukhman

Post by ybukhman »

Hi,

I have just installed Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon. I have two workspaces. I can't find a way to make more. One of the posts said that there should be an empty box in the lower right corner, which creates a new workspace if I put a window in there. I don't have that: clicking the applet in the lower right corner just shows a list of windows. Another post says that right-clicking workspace switcher applet should bring up a menu where one can set the number of workspaces. I have added the applet to my panel, but right-clicking it only displays a "remove this applet" button. I can't find any info on workspaces in the official User Guide, either. What am I missing?

I do like Cinnamon look and feel generally...

Thanks.

Yury
ybukhman

Post by ybukhman »

OK, I found a solution in another post that does work in Mint 17. Ctr-Alt-Up arrow brings up a view that shows existing workspaces and a "+" button on the right that can be used to create a new one.

Yury

Return to “Cinnamon”