Changing Cinnamon Pannel

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
xiaoxin.yo

Re: Changing Cinnamon Pannel

Post by xiaoxin.yo »

I tried to make chaneges to cinnamon.css and I can't restart cinnamon anymore. What's more, when I restart mint, Cinnamon can't start. When I type cinnamon in terminal, it say "X display can't be enabled". Be careful if you want to make changes to the files as above!
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

Two things I'd want to do:

- Decrease the width of the panel so that it doesn't go all the way across the screen, while having the panel centered.
- Have the workspace list show running apps from all workspace instead of only the current workspace.

Anyone know if it's possible to do these two things?
aloysius
Level 1
Level 1

Post by aloysius »

MALsPa wrote:Two things I'd want to do:

- Decrease the width of the panel so that it doesn't go all the way across the screen, while having the panel centered.
- Have the workspace list show running apps from all workspace instead of only the current workspace.

Don't hold your breath waiting for an answer.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

aloysius wrote:
MALsPa wrote:Two things I'd want to do:

Don't hold your breath waiting for an answer.
Yeah. Oh, well, thought it was worth a try to ask.
Hot Wampa

Post by Hot Wampa »

Where's the option in the GUI to do these things? I want my elderly parents to be able to tweak these settings to their liking. If it requires editing a config file, they will screw it up.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Patience, Cinnamon is quite new and what it was forked from (Gnome Shell) has no built-in customization at all. The flexibility is there, we just need expert volunteers to help add the code necessary for GUI customization.

In the newest unreleased version of Cinnamon you can set panel height in Cinnamon Settings, small steps.

If you demand a fully customizable fully matured shell, maybe using one that isn't a year old yet isn't the right choice.
easysid

Post by easysid »

Adding animations to launchers

One thing I found quite annoying was that the launchers on the panel did not give any indication of click, which many a times led to opening multiple instances of the app. ( Chromium in my case.) So I looked around and found a solution. I'll post it here as I think its worth having.
Its issue #622. You need to edit /usr/share/cinnamon/applets/panel-launchers@cinnamon.org/applet.js as in the link.

https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/c ... ff50#L0R12

I'd recommend downloading the applet.js file and replacing it. restart cinnamon and its done.

You can make further changes in effects if required.
triksterx

Post by triksterx »

Okay, I dug through the JS files and found the line you need to modify to get the panel to render correctly when you change its height in the cinnamon.css file. Open:

Code: Select all

/usr/share/cinnamon/js/ui/layout.js
Go to the bit of code around line 267. Should read like:

if (Main.desktop_layout == Main.LAYOUT_TRADITIONAL) {       
            this.panelBox.set_position(this.bottomMonitor.x, this.bottomMonitor.y + this.bottomMonitor.height - 35);
Notice the "y + this.bottom.height - 25". That is telling cinnamon if you are using a traditional layout, move up 25 pixels from the lower most y coordinate and render the top of the panel there. Change "25" to match your panel height set in cinnamon.css and you should be good to go. Hope this helps everyone looking for the fix.

If you are using the "Classic Layout" with a panel on top and bottom, simply scroll down a few lines to the "LAYOUT_CLASSIC" portion and you'll find essentially the same code snippet to modify (it will say "this.panelBox2.set_position). If you have autohide enabled, you will also need to modify the next line in each section:

this.panelBox.set_size(this.bottomMonitor.width, 25)

this.panelBox2.set_size(this.bottomMonitor.width, 25)
As well as line 29 in panel.js:

const PANEL_HEIGHT = 25
Again, just change the number to match your .css file. Changing the panel.js file will make the entire panel display with autohide active (it cuts off all pixels below the specified height otherwise). The layout.js change is necessary to avoid an issue with the autohide cutoff being at the 25th pixel of the panel. Going below that pixel with the default setting causes the panel to bounce in and out of autohide repeatedly.

EDIT: This seems to be in a section of code that deals with multiple monitor layouts. While I don't believe it will affect anything major, you should proceed with caution if you are using multiple monitors, since I have only tested the behavior on a single monitor setup.
cracker42

Post by cracker42 »

Hello, I'm new to Mint 13 Cinnamon but I just went here and followed clem's instructions:

http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/955

After all the steps and massive builds and installs I took a deep breath, shut down, and restarted Mint 13.
WOW, I got Linux Mint 13 with the Cinnamon 1.5.2 desktop. This latest version has a panel height adjustment so you can make the panel taller if you like. Unfortunatly for me while I can increase the panel height the icons and text are not scaling up as well so Cinnamon is still a work in progress but at least it's a step in the right direction. :D
cracker42

Post by cracker42 »

Hello again. Just a warning to those who are thinking of installing Cinnamon 1.5.2, while the panel height can easily be adjusted I now have a problem when in panel edit mode instead of just the one icon being moved it is selecting all the icons which means you can't re-arrange their order. This is a bug for sure and will be fixed soon I hope but for now I can't change their order when I add a program to the panel. Such is the risk of using the newest (bleading edge) Cinnamon 1.5.2.
sjmcc

Post by sjmcc »

If you are talking about the launchers, you do not have to go into panel edit mode to rearrange them. Just left click and hold then drag the launcher into the position you want it to be. Sorry if that is not what you are referring too.

Return to “Cinnamon”