[SOLVED] Where is Skype?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
vistad
Level 4
Level 4

[SOLVED] Where is Skype?

Post by vistad »

I've installed Cinnamon. So far it looks promising and I am enjoying relief after Gnome 3 nightmare. Now here is Skype problem: It's running, but I can't find it anywhere! Its icon does not show up in the panel. Alt+Tab does not show it. Hot corner activities view does not reveal it either. It just tells me that someone has come online or went offline. How to put Skype icon back into the panel? Or how to reset the faulty panel? Restarting Cinnamon with Alt+F2-r does not help.
Last edited by vistad on Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Linux Mint Mate 21.2 64, fanless box with passive cooling
zerubbabel
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Where is Skype?

Post by zerubbabel »

i have the same problem with the FireTray extension for Thunderbird. I does not appear in the panel, though it did appear under MGSE. Also, Jitsi (nice alternative to Skype) appears in the panel unless I restart Cinnamon (Alt-F2 + r), then Jitsi disappears from the panel, but is still running.
rykel98

Post by rykel98 »

I cannot find Skype anywhere in the tray too, although it is running. I am running Cinnamon, so is this a BUG with Cinnamon?
lawrencemaria

Post by lawrencemaria »

I lost my skype icon too! Its active -but hidden! So I can only accept incoming calls -and nothing else! If I forcestart -it says "another instance of skype is already running!" It is impossible to use alt+tab or use any other means to view it. Infact due to unsolvable skype (mic) problem I have had to abandon linux on my Sony VPCGG138 laptop and revert to windows!
pjopaw

Post by pjopaw »

Hi, I'm new to the forum and to Linux itself. I used to have the very same problem as you do, but I managed to solve it.
For me the solution was following:
1. I rightclicked on an applet (it doesn't really matter which one) and I chose add/remove applets.
2. From the opened window I looked for "system tray" and ticked it. The applet appeared on the panel.
3. I rebooted computer.
4. Now when I open skype, kadu and dropbox they all minimize to tray and their icons are visible there. :D

I hope it works for you as well.
vit

Post by vit »

Thanks Pjopaw!
Works charming
Gazzasore

Re: [SOLVED] Where is Skype?

Post by Gazzasore »

pjopaw

When you say right click on an Applet where do you mean in tray or start menu ?
I haven’t managed to work out what you did yet
My Skype isn’t showing in the system tray either

Thanks
Gary
valhalla_dweller

Post by valhalla_dweller »

Fantastic, thanks it worked! Just makes me wonder why the system tray applet isn't on by default, how else is one supposed to find running programs like skype...
NoIdentity

Post by NoIdentity »

Gazzasore wrote:pjopaw

When you say right click on an Applet where do you mean in tray or start menu ?
I haven’t managed to work out what you did yet
My Skype isn’t showing in the system tray either

Thanks
Gary
I know this topic is old and probably you already solved your problem but anyway... A few days ago skype, teamviewer and some other icons disappeared from my applet panel...
Accepted solution didn't work for me because I don't have "add/remove" option when I click on any applet. The only option I have is "Remove this applet"...
But I did solve my problem differently.. I opened "System settings" and under the preferences I clicked "Applets" icon...
Then I right-clicked "System tray" option and selected "Add to panel" option... And all of my missing third-party icons were there...
If your system tray applet is already added to applet panel then you can try to remove it and then add it again..

Return to “Cinnamon”