Another DE option for Mint 12 - Cinnamon

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Another DE option for Mint 12 - Cinnamon

Post by kmb42vt »

wei2912 wrote:
zerozero wrote:have not yet tried any of these two themes, but it's the first time cinnamon appears in dA

1- Wood'nTux by rcv-2011
http://browse.deviantart.com/customizat ... n#/d4hu8xh
2- New Elements by perj132
http://perj132.deviantart.com/art/New-E ... namon&qo=3
BTW Minty is already ported at http://satya164.deviantart.com/art/Cinn ... -278062673
Excellent. That is one of my favorites along with Eleganse and Dark Glass. One thing I did though was to rename the "Minty" folder to "CinnaMinty" in order to clearly define it from the original "Minty" for gnome-shell (w/MGSE). Too bad there's not a way to keep gnome-shell themes from showing up in the Cinnamon DE overview. Things are getting rather crowded. :wink:
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
Joe_Linux

Post by Joe_Linux »

bimsebasse wrote:I have added a Cinnamon section to this thread, currently contains these entries:

5. Cinnamon
a. What it is and how to install it
b. Configuring Cinnamon
c. How to install and change Cinnamon themes
d. Hide the workspace switcher
e. Remove the battery tray icon percentage indicator thing happening
f. Built-in desktop recording tool
g. Adding extensions in Cinnamon

If you have ideas or requests for more, I'm all ears :)
How would you remove the Day and Date from the Cinnamon Panel, leaving only the Time.
Also I downloaded the themes linked in your other thread, but how do you get the Theme Button in the Overview Window to point to the theme you want. What is becoming confusing to me is tying Mate, Gnome Shell, MGSE, and Cinnamon together in a single thread. I think the Cinnamon configuration thread should be a stand alone thread, and frankly at this point I would like to get rid of the other desktops and run a version of Mint 12 that can only run Cinnamon.
pony-tail

Post by pony-tail »

I would also like to see a Mint 12 remix with Cinnamon as the default / only DE.
Cinnamon is looking better al the time .
z06gal

Post by z06gal »

pony-tail wrote:I would also like to see a Mint 12 remix with Cinnamon as the default / only DE.
+1
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

z06gal wrote:
pony-tail wrote:I would also like to see a Mint 12 remix with Cinnamon as the default / only DE.
+1
I agree, although I don't think that clem thinks that cinnamon is ready for prime-time. It is still theoretically in alpha, and a lot (if not all) of the configurations need to be done using the command line or command line-like gui apps (as in dconf editor). And MATE doesn't have it's own version. And KDE was just approved for RC, but there is work that needs to be done on that. And then there's lxde, assuming it sticks with ubuntu base. And there's fluxbox which I doubt will be released, but you never know. Maybe a debian version will come out. And there's update pack 4. And update pack 5 after 4. And ISO respins of the debian edition. So basically there's a lot to do, and I don't think that a cinnamon respin will come. We will just have to wait till linux mint 13.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Joe_Linux wrote:How would you remove the Day and Date from the Cinnamon Panel, leaving only the Time.
You can hide the date in dconf editor under "org/cinnamon/clock", but you can't hide the day. I'll have a look in the panel.js.
wei2912

Post by wei2912 »

cwwgateway wrote: There is now a thread (call Cinnamon Themes) to post cinnamon themes: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=208&t=91028
Thanks for the useful info, I'll check it out.
kmb42vt wrote: Excellent. That is one of my favorites along with Eleganse and Dark Glass. One thing I did though was to rename the "Minty" folder to "CinnaMinty" in order to clearly define it from the original "Minty" for gnome-shell (w/MGSE). Too bad there's not a way to keep gnome-shell themes from showing up in the Cinnamon DE overview. Things are getting rather crowded. :wink:
Same here, I like Minty too. Also, my themes menu is a bity crowded due to the obsolete gnome-shell themes.
crzen

Post by crzen »

@wei2912, If you only want to see the Cinnamon themes in the overview/themes list you can drop the listings for gnome-shell.

Goto usr/share/cinnamon/js/ui (open as admin)
Open "themeDisplay.js" file in gedit (double click)
Comment out line 172 by changing it to be: /*let gnomeshellDir = dir.get_child('gnome-shell');*/
Save and do a alt/F2 then type r then enter

I tried it and the result is that only cinnamon themes show up and should not effect gnome-shell.

REMEMBER: this might get undone with a cinnamon update and may need to be repeated later.
Joe_Linux

Post by Joe_Linux »

bimsebasse wrote:
Joe_Linux wrote:How would you remove the Day and Date from the Cinnamon Panel, leaving only the Time.
You can hide the date in dconf editor under "org/cinnamon/clock", but you can't hide the day. I'll have a look in the panel.js.

OK thanks, I now have no date displayed, but I decided to add seconds because it is a good indicator as to whether or not you desktop is frozen.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

crzen wrote:@wei2912, If you only want to see the Cinnamon themes in the overview/themes list you can drop the listings for gnome-shell.

Goto usr/share/cinnamon/js/ui (open as admin)
Open "themeDisplay.js" file in gedit (double click)
Comment out line 172 by changing it to be: /*let gnomeshellDir = dir.get_child('gnome-shell');*/
Save and do a alt/F2 then type r then enter

I tried it and the result is that only cinnamon themes show up and should not effect gnome-shell.

REMEMBER: this might get undone with a cinnamon update and may need to be repeated later.
Good tip! Goes in the Mint 12 guide if that's ok with you. I'm considering filing it as a bug because what's the point of listing themes that aren't compatible?
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Looking at Cinnamon's github there are a few interesting improvements coming:

- Cinnamon Settings (https://github.com/linuxmint/cinnamon-settings)
- Themes tab removed from the overview into Cinnamon Settings (https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/tree/master/js)
- Added themes (https://github.com/linuxmint/cinnamon-themes)
- Added extensions (https://github.com/linuxmint/cinnamon-extensions) - "added" as in available for easy switching on through Cinnamon Settings, I guess
- Mint Menu will work as a semantic application launcher, meaning you can press the windows key, type the name of the app you want and press enter to launch it when it's on top of the filtered list. The slower and much more popular method of using a mouse will still be there, don't worry :D

Aceness all round!

Gotta say I'm running completely dry of complaints over Cinnamon. It's more stable than Gnome Shell, bugs and missing features are sorted out quickly, extensions are being added as is a Cinnamon tweak tool and there's still plenty of time until Mint 13 is released to make it even better. Only thing missing for me is integration with zeitgeist so you can quickly launch recent files/folders from the menu search box. And changing window theme, but that's bound to come at some point.
Rehdon
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Rehdon »

bimsebasse wrote:Only thing missing for me is integration with zeitgeist so you can quickly launch recent files/folders from the menu search box.
Since adapting GS extensions to Cinnamon seems to be quite easy perhaps Seif Lotfy will prepare a Cinnamon equivalent of the Journal extension? Has someone prodded him? Can't find his blog as of now.

Rehdon
Daniel4lm

Post by Daniel4lm »

bimsebasse wrote:Looking at Cinnamon's github there are a few interesting improvements coming:

- Cinnamon Settings (https://github.com/linuxmint/cinnamon-settings)
- Themes tab removed from the overview into Cinnamon Settings (https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/tree/master/js)
- Added themes (https://github.com/linuxmint/cinnamon-themes)
- Added extensions (https://github.com/linuxmint/cinnamon-extensions) - "added" as in available for easy switching on through Cinnamon Settings, I guess
- Mint Menu will work as a semantic application launcher, meaning you can press the windows key, type the name of the app you want and press enter to launch it when it's on top of the filtered list. The slower and much more popular method of using a mouse will still be there, don't worry :D

Aceness all round!

Gotta say I'm running completely dry of complaints over Cinnamon. It's more stable than Gnome Shell, bugs and missing features are sorted out quickly, extensions are being added as is a Cinnamon tweak tool and there's still plenty of time until Mint 13 is released to make it even better. Only thing missing for me is integration with zeitgeist so you can quickly launch recent files/folders from the menu search box. And changing window theme, but that's bound to come at some point.
Yeap, these are really good news. Clem and others give a lot of effort into the development of Cinnamon shell. Cinnamon themes are good in all this too, so I hope it will soon be even more themes.
Kakao

Post by Kakao »

I'm using Cinnamon exclusively in my Fedora work laptop and it already is much better than Gnome Shell, even without any customization. But there is something that I don't know if it is a bug or not. When I place the mouse pointer in the bottom of the applications list (circled in orange in the attached picture) the list scrolls down one by one if I keep moving the pointer. When the pointer is placed at the top the list does not move. It happens in both Fedora real machine and Mint in Virtualbox. Should I open an issue at github?
cinnamon_snapshot.png
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

^^I can't reproduce this - works as you'd expect on my machine.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

bimsebasse wrote:^^I can't reproduce this - works as you'd expect on my machine.
I can reproduce it. I move my mouse cursor to the bottom of the list of applications (I tested this when the "All applications" category was selected) and the list begins to scroll upwards to the bottom of the list. But when I move the mouse cursor to the top of the list, the list moves downward one application and stops and does not move. In short, in the menu, the list of applications will auto-scroll upwards when the mouse cursor is moved to the bottom of the application list but will not auto-scroll back down when moved to the top of the same list.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

Kakao wrote:I'm using Cinnamon exclusively in my Fedora work laptop and it already is much better than Gnome Shell, even without any customization. But there is something that I don't know if it is a bug or not. When I place the mouse pointer in the bottom of the applications list (circled in orange in the attached picture) the list scrolls down one by one if I keep moving the pointer. When the pointer is placed at the top the list does not move. It happens in both Fedora real machine and Mint in Virtualbox. Should I open an issue at github?
cinnamon_snapshot.png
I can reproduce this. Please check out my reply to Bimsebasse below and see if it's the same thing you're experiencing. This is on Linux Mint 12/Cinnamon 1.1.3 running on a desktop computer (Intel Core 2 Quad, 8 GBs memory, Nvidia GT 430 video card). If so then a bug report on github might be warranted.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Changing themes I see what you mean, in Eleganse (my default) nothing happens either up or down, in New Elements fast scrolling down at bottom and nothing at top.
Kakao

Post by Kakao »

kmb42vt wrote:
bimsebasse wrote:^^I can't reproduce this - works as you'd expect on my machine.
I can reproduce it. I move my mouse cursor to the bottom of the list of applications (I tested this when the "All applications" category was selected) and the list begins to scroll upwards to the bottom of the list. But when I move the mouse cursor to the top of the list, the list moves downward one application and stops and does not move. In short, in the menu, the list of applications will auto-scroll upwards when the mouse cursor is moved to the bottom of the application list but will not auto-scroll back down when moved to the top of the same list.
It is almost the same what happens to me. When the pointer arrives at the bottom of the list the list moves one application down. It does not keep moving. To keep the list moving I must keep moving the mouse pointer a few pixels up and down. Just tested in another machine having Windows 7 as host and Mint 12 in Virtualbox and the same I described above happens.
Daniel4lm

Post by Daniel4lm »

Only a small piece of information: Swapped Mutter 3.2.1 with Muffin 1.0.0 in next ver. of (github)

Return to “Cinnamon”