Another DE option for Mint 12 - Cinnamon

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cwwgateway

Re: Another DE option for Mint 12 - Cinnamon

Post by cwwgateway »

Daniel4lm wrote:Only a small piece of information: Swapped Mutter 3.2.1 with Muffin 1.0.0 in next ver. of (github)
This probably isn't the right place to ask this, but what is muffin?
crzen

Post by crzen »

@kaykao & kmb42vt It might be a theme issue. I am also able to reproduce it, but only with that theme. Or maybe its intentional (active scroll on hover). I know firefox does this with too many bookmarks. :oops:
Kakao

Post by Kakao »

cwwgateway wrote:
Daniel4lm wrote:Only a small piece of information: Swapped Mutter 3.2.1 with Muffin 1.0.0 in next ver. of (github)
A fork of Mutter:

https://github.com/linuxmint/muffin/blob/master/README

Then what is Mutter? It is a window manager based in Metacity acording to this Wikipedia article:
GNOME Shell uses Mutter, a compositing window manager based on the Metacity window manager, and the Clutter toolkit to provide visual effects and hardware acceleration.[7] According to GNOME Shell maintainer[8] Owen Taylor, it is set up as a Mutter plugin largely written in Javascript.[9]
So Cinnamon would be now a Muffin plugin.
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

Kakao wrote:
cwwgateway wrote:
A fork of Mutter:

https://github.com/linuxmint/muffin/blob/master/README

Then what is Mutter? It is a window manager based in Metacity acording to this Wikipedia article:
GNOME Shell uses Mutter, a compositing window manager based on the Metacity window manager, and the Clutter toolkit to provide visual effects and hardware acceleration.[7] According to GNOME Shell maintainer[8] Owen Taylor, it is set up as a Mutter plugin largely written in Javascript.[9]
So Cinnamon would be now a Muffin plugin.
Thanks!
z06gal

Post by z06gal »

Mmmmmm....cinnamon muffins :mrgreen:
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

OMG, now Mutter is forked too :shock:
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

I'll have my mint 12 with some cinnamon on it please :mrgreen:
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

Now it seems logical to fork autotools, name it autocooking or something like that, and use recipes instead of configure scripts and makefiles... :D
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Muffin! :D

looking forward to run cinnamon with muffin
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

I was actually "quoted" in this brand new article about Cinnamon... :D
http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/Mint- ... 74163.html

By the way...what the heck is "muffin" ? :lol:
I do love them for breakfast though :mrgreen:
Last edited by craig10x on Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Zenkibou

Post by Zenkibou »

bimsebasse wrote:In what way is Gnome Shell a tablet interface?
I wanted to reply to that before, because I saw some month ago a blog post (likely on planet gnome) talking about the how they wouldn't make smaller "All Applications" buttons because it would be less touch-friently.

But today I saw this blog post http://afaikblog.wordpress.com/2012/01/ ... -wimp-era/, which perfectly describes what I saw earlier. Let me quote (emphasis is mine):
Where does all this leave GNOME? GNOME 2 was firmly in the WIMP camp. With GNOME 3, we improved on that by starting to move away from the classic WIMP approach. There is no ‘desktop’ in GNOME 3, for example. The new GNOME 3 applications won’t typically behave like normal windows, either. They will be maximized by default and won’t have titlebars when they are maximized. A lot of the time you will not actually be able to tell that there is a window there at all.

Work to make GNOME 3 touch compatible is ongoing. Current design work is focusing on a number of areas, including scrolling. We are also developing touch compatible approaches to application design, so that new GNOME 3 applications will be effective with touchscreens. Here you will find click targets that are the right size for fingers, and we are making use of drag actions for key functionality. We are also planning ahead to make use of multitouch capabilities once they become available.

But touch does not come at the expense of pointing devices. GNOME 3 will remain a highly effective environment for pointer and keyboard input, which we will continue to optimise for. Many of the features of touch design, such as the use of drag actions and kinetic scrolling will be effective and enjoyable when using mouse input. Multitouch can also be used to positive effect with both touchpads and touchscreens. As this work progresses, those of us who contribute to GNOME design are finding that it is possible to create coherent designs that are effective using a variety of input devices.
I currently think that the modifications done in gnome-shell for tablet and touch-based control are too much degrading the UI for keyboard/mouse. Thank you, but I never maximize windows.

I don't say that it is not possible to have a good desktop working for both mouse+keyboard and touchscreen, but I think that Gnome3 is currently making too much concessions.
crzen

Post by crzen »

I agree that Gnome3 & Gnome shell are steps towards a "tablet style" interface, not just for tablets themselves, with Gnome classic (fallback mode) being used for "non-cutting edge" desktops.

I think the Gnome devs are looking ahead and trying to implement a DE that will be compatible with touchscreen monitors and "Kinect style" (my words) user interaction. Although its always a good idea to look ahead, I also think they are jumping the gun a little on implementation for the day when a physical keyboard and mouse are obsolete.

Thats why I like Cinnamon and Mate. The Mint team doesnt seem to want to leave their base desktop users hanging, as Gnome classic does, until the base moves to the new tech or that tech gets widely adopted.

But thats just my opinion.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

When Gnome shell has all windows maximized by default, has big application launchers on your home screen instead of actively preventing you from creating any and actually exists as a tablet interface, then the moaning will have some justification. On my desktop I get work done quicker in gnome shell than in gnome-panel exactly because it caters so much for keyboard power users, it's simple and easy to get things done, and quick, it's just different than grabbing your mouse clicking on things looking in menus and expanded submenus, not slower, not more difficult, just different.

iPad desktop:

Android:

iOS:

Mint 9:

The extraordinarily tablet friendly Gnome 3 desktop:
pony-tail

Post by pony-tail »

not slower, not more difficult, just different.
Not only "just different" totally unintuitive !
You have your view I have mine - all of your hard sell will not change my mind !
If everybody had the same view it would be a boring world .
Our differing views no more makes you right and me wrong or me right and you wrong . there is never going to be a one size fits all solution .
I am not a touch typist - I am a motor mechanic , not a software developer .. Keyboard shortcuts have little or no value to me - I would ( and often do ) prefer to use a console to your keyboard shortcuts .
It ( Gnome Shell ) does not and will not be of any use to me in its standard form - It works for you go use it !
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Only one open "issue" before 1.1.4. is ... issueless and at least on paper ready for release: https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/i ... pen&page=1

It's gonna be a great update with extensions and applets and the new Cinnamon Settings tool.
Kakao

Post by Kakao »

Fedora users already enjoying a packaged version of Cinnamon Settings:

http://s1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 ... /cinnamon/
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

Kakao wrote:Fedora users already enjoying a packaged version of Cinnamon Settings:

You can get Cinnamon Settings now from a ppa, but it looks like an older or less feature-rich version.

Edit: Cinnamon Settings looks really neat. I wonder how the change desktop layout works. And Desktop affects. And applets vs. extensions.
lurkatron

Post by lurkatron »

Kakao wrote:Fedora users already enjoying a packaged version of Cinnamon Settings:

thats starting to look pretty decent!
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

Forgive me for asking as it may have already been asked, but how closely will Cinnamon and its forked components track changes in GNOME/GNOME Shell/Mutter from now on? Is it going to go well off on its own direction or run alongside its upstream project?
Kakao

Post by Kakao »

Preferences and Administration menus:
cinnamon_preferences_menu.png
cinnamon_administration_menu.png

Return to “Cinnamon”