Another DE option for Mint 12 - Cinnamon

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cwwgateway

Re: Another DE option for Mint 12 - Cinnamon

Post by cwwgateway »

maxdule wrote:@kmb42vt Tnx for the reply

However :mrgreen: I'm not sure what this means...
By what I can see you have to revert back to right-clicking on the title of the open window...
Did you mean doing this in 12 Cinnamon? And if yes, how? :oops:

It's not necessary to have right-click functionality, but now I can't move windows to another desktop anyhow! In previous Cinnamon it was possible to move them just like in default Gnome session (MGSE) by clicking on left corner icon and using drag&drop. This is not possible now, as now only overview of windows from current desktop is displayed.
You simply have to right click on the titlebar of the window. That feature is there and always as been. Mine right now (I'm in firefox) says "Linux Mint Forums [Circle thing] Post a reply - Mozilla Firefox" Another way to change it is to press ctrl + alt + shift and then (while holding those down) an arrow key for the direction you want to move it (for example, the right arrow key).
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

on the bright side :D the latest built from git (as of yesterday) brings another tab in cinnamon settings (desktop) where some of the gnome-tweak-tools options are merged
Daniel4lm

Post by Daniel4lm »

zerozero wrote:on the bright side :D the latest built from git (as of yesterday) brings another tab in cinnamon settings (desktop) where some of the gnome-tweak-tools options are merged
It was wonderful. Yet they need to add a section for gtk/shell theme installation. Soon we won't need Gnome Tweak Tool.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

Daniel4lm wrote: Yet they need to add a section [...]
:lol: give them time :) we see improvements every day and this is what you are asking for 8)
maxdule
Level 1
Level 1

Post by maxdule »

Yup, this is in LM 12 Cinnamon and what I meant was that the only way I can see to move windows to another workspace(s) is to right-click on the window title bar (I missed adding "bar" in my last reply. Sorry about that) and using the workspace switching options in the resulting menu as shown in the image below.
Yes yes you understood me correctly. Now I see it. I use google chrome most of the time, but with compact borders (so meaning without window title bar) - that's where the misunderstanding came from!
You simply have to right click on the titlebar of the window. That feature is there and always as been. ... Another way to change it is to press ctrl + alt + shift and then (while holding those down) an arrow key for the direction you want to move it (for example, the right arrow key).

As you see from my previous sentence, not as simple as it seems. :mrgreen: I'm used to right-clicking in the down panel (where this feature had been in G2).
Anyway, I was moving around desktops with keyboard shortcuts but I didn't know about this one for moving a window! :shock: Great!

Huge thanks to both of you - @kmb42vt & @cwwgateway :!:
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

Cinnamon is what made me return to Mint again.
Thank you!
It's good to be back! :mrgreen:
Last edited by Zwopper on Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

zerozero wrote:on the bright side :D the latest built from git (as of yesterday) brings another tab in cinnamon settings (desktop) where some of the gnome-tweak-tools options are merged
Looks just dandy! I'll patiently wait for the next milestone of Cinnamon to show up on Github though. Perhaps I could install LM 12 on yet another partition and try my hand at building Cinnamon from source? I'd hate to mess up my original install. Such decisions I have to make. :mrgreen:
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

something tells me that you are going to do it kmb :lol:
look at yesterday's build (we don't need tweak-tool anymore)
z06gal

Post by z06gal »

There are some really nice improvements coming in Cinnamon from what I have seen at github. Anyone know when the next release might be? Zero, how did you update Cinnamon to show some of those changes? Thanks :wink:
lurkatron

Post by lurkatron »

wow clem and co are really doing things the right way judging by that screenshot *also looking forward to the update*
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

The layout of Cinnamon Settings is aesthetically and functionally behind Gnome Tweak Tool but I guess it wouldn't be proper Mint if it was sleek :)

Icons on top where you have to scroll to see all options, lose. Text at the left where you immediately can see everything, win. Cluttered vs simple.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

z06gal wrote: Zero, how did you update Cinnamon to show some of those changes? Thanks :wink:
hi Robin,
it was compiled from git (a snapshot from 2012.01.31) :D
sprintcowboy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sprintcowboy »

zerozero wrote:it was compiled from git (a snapshot from 2012.01.31)
How do yoy compile from git.
I asume I use the terminal.
Can you give instuctions please?
Thanks
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

sprintcowboy,
if you are using mint12 take a look at this
sprintcowboy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sprintcowboy »

zerozero
I am using mint 12 with cinnamon 1.2.
Since I am already using cinnamon can I still compile?
My guess is no.
Foxandxss

Post by Foxandxss »

This is great stuff, loving Cinnamon so far.

There is notifications in the windows list? Like pidgin conversation blinking or xchat ...

And would be REAL good to have support for two monitors, like 2 bars and windows list for each window :P

Asking too much? :)
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

sprintcowboy wrote:zerozero
I am using mint 12 with cinnamon 1.2.
Since I am already using cinnamon can I still compile?
My guess is no.
Not without uninstalling cinnamon and cinnamon-session. I've tried it in a VM, and I've found that last I checked, you can't reinstall cinnamon-session, so you have to run cinnamon by logging into gnome and running cinnamon --replace. An idea - you can add cinnamon --replace to your startup applications by adding that command to gnome-session-properties.
truexfan81

Post by truexfan81 »

Is there a way to unsubscribe from this thread? i looked in the controll panel it says i'm not subscribed to any threads, but i still get emails everytime someone replies.
crzen

Post by crzen »

The bottom of the e-mail has this see if that helps
If you no longer wish to watch this topic you can either click the
"Unsubscribe topic" link found at the bottom of the topic above, or by
clicking the following link:

//forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?******************&unwatch=topic

--
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

truexfan81 wrote:Is there a way to unsubscribe from this thread? i looked in the controll panel it says i'm not subscribed to any threads, but i still get emails everytime someone replies.
If crzen's solution doesn't work there is another option - though it may be a bit drastic
User Control Panel>Board Preferences>Edit Posting Defaults then toggle Notify me upon replies by default to "No" - this will stop all notifications though

Return to “Cinnamon”