Icon for custom menu not displaying

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mattghg

Icon for custom menu not displaying

Post by mattghg »

Hi,

I decided to create a new menu under applications in the menu editor, so I did.

Having done that, I located the .directory file that I had created and added a line to it that I thought would provide an icon for the new menu:

Code: Select all

Icon=[absolute path to .png file]
However, although the new menu now appears, its icon does not, as you can see from this image (the new menu is called "Linguistics"):
menu.png
The strange thing is that when I go back to the menu editor, the icon *does* appear next to the menu, as you can see from this image:
edit-menu.png
Logging out and logging back in, restarting the machine etc. doesn't change any of this.

Any thoughts?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ALF13

Re: Icon for custom menu not displaying

Post by ALF13 »

It is easier than you think.
1.png
2.png

If you change the location of the image (or name) that you just put as an icon in menu - you will see no image. So it has to be somewhere that you won't delete or change it. (Just an advice)
mattghg

Post by mattghg »

When I do that the image that I wanted appears:
next-menu.png
Like I said above, the menu editor sees it. But that doesn't change the fact that the image doesn't appear when I click on the start menu, as I said in my previous post:
menu.png
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

If you want a particular icon for this sub-menu, you will have to add it as superuser to the collection of icons for the theme you are using.

If you are using the "Mint-X" icon theme for example, the path would read "/usr/share/icons/Mint-X/categories/size/name_of_desired_icon", where "size" refers to 16,22,24,32,48 or 96.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon

Return to “Cinnamon”