GUI scaling for use with 42" TV

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
levelboss

GUI scaling for use with 42" TV

Post by levelboss »

hey all..

so here's the situation, i'm currently running Mint on my 40" TV which has a native res of 720. if i set the the display res at 720 the automatically TV overscans and i lose the edges, including most of the panel. the tv does have a "full res" setting but that is only available if it's receiving a 1080 signal. if i set the display to 1080 then everything is wicked small. i've tried using a mix of the Desktop scaling in the General settings and text scaling, which almost solves the problem but not quite. every time i start Mint i still have to find the remote for my TV, go into the menu and display settings and turn the scaling top full res, which is annoying.

i have done extensive searches that usually end up with xrandr, which i've messed around with and gotten nowhere.

ideally, i'd like to just set the display res to 720 and then scale the entire GUI down a few percent to compensate for the overscan. that way everything looks the correct size and i don't have to fuss with the TV settings with every boot. Mint is dual-booted on a mac mini and that is what i do in OSX. it has a very nice GUI scale slider in the settings, no fuss no muss.

thanks for any help!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ALF13

Re: GUI scaling for use with 42" TV

Post by ALF13 »

I don't bring you the answer but I support your case!

A decent scaling option for Linux Mint would be a great feature!
levelboss

Re: GUI scaling for use with 42" TV

Post by levelboss »

ALF13 wrote:I don't bring you the answer but I support your case!

A decent scaling option for Linux Mint would be a great feature!
thanks, bro. it's a hard life.

Return to “Cinnamon”