Tweaking size/position of task bar and Cairo dock

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Argy-Bargy

Tweaking size/position of task bar and Cairo dock

Post by Argy-Bargy »

I am a very inefficient computer user. I tend to keep too many windows open, and too many browsers, with too many tabs open in each.

I have accommodated my inefficiency in Windows by widening (heighten-ing?) the task bar to two rows of icons. So even with eight application icons in my Quick-Launch area, the task bar still can accommodate running 20 apps with all the titles of each still distinguishable. And just because I've switched to Linux doesn't mean I'm any more judicious with my screen clutter, so I have wanted to adjust my Mint (17.3) Cinnamon desktop similarly.

I'm given to understand there is no way to widen (heighten?) the Cinnamon task bar (if I'm wrong, please enlighten me), so what I've sought to do as a substitute is to use a dock, and to move all the start-button icons for my frequently-used apps off of the task bar and onto the dock.

At the moment I'm test-driving Cairo dock, which I like well enough, but would like even more if I could make two changes. So I'm hoping someone here might know how those could be made.

The first change is, when I move the dock to the bottom of the screen, it overlaps the task bar. Which gives me to believe that only one or the other can dominate that edge of the screen. So I presently am running it on the left margin. Ideally, what I would like to do is move Cairo up the screen the same distance as the task bar is tall, so the dock appears to be sitting atop the task bar.

And the second thing I would like to do is for Cairo NOT to mirror the running applications that are populating my task bar. The whole idea is to make the best use of what my inefficiency condemns to being too little space for icons, so there is no room for redundancy.

So if anyone knows, or knows where the answers can be found, I would be obliged if you would tell me.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Return to “Cinnamon”