Menu Applet Missing From Panel

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Ozo

Re: Menu Applet Missing From Panel

Post by Ozo »

Super key opens Menu. I was pressing the Fn key in error :mrgreen:
EDIT:
The Menu key just disappeared again and I am happy with the SuperL key to do that plus I can still add a Menu applet to the right side. Thanks again for that MOem.
Last edited by Ozo on Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Run the command

Code: Select all

ll ~/.config && ll ~/.cinnamon/configs
and see if anything is owned by root. (It should not be.)
Have you been opening any graphical programs with "sudo" instead of "gksudo" ?

Alternatively, you can use Cosmo's command to search /home for files owned by root.

find $HOME ! -user $USER -type f
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

I loaded Systemback using SUDO commands and I am having a problem with it too. See my post:http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=215881

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nemh/systemback
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install systemback

I saw no word "Root" in the Terminal and that command you offered from Cosmo produced zero results. Here is most of what I got on the Terminal following your code command.
Root.png
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

When we ask for a terminal output, we always want it (and mostly we say so also) as text (copy / paste), not as screen shot. One of the reasons we need it in text format can be easily seen in this case: We see, that we only see a part of the output, but not all.

But this output does in any case only show (or does not show :roll: ) the in this case most suspicious folders. As you come across the same problem shortly after installing Mint, there must be a reason. Permission / ownership problems is one possibility - but not the only one.

To get the full inspection about wrong ownership do the second command from the post of austin.texas. If you have done so, follow this advice:
Mark the complete result inclusive the command and copy it into the clipboard by pressing ctrl-shift-C
In the forum click the Code-button above the text box, than press ctrl-V.

In case there is no output, report this also.
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

OK, here is the terminal result after the first command:

user@ROSA ~ $ ll ~/.config && ll ~/.cinnamon/configs
total 80
drwxr-xr-x 15 user user 4096 Feb  4 11:58 ./
drwxr-xr-x 26 user user 4096 Feb  4 12:16 ../
drwxr-xr-x  2 user user 4096 Feb  4 07:54 caja/
drwxr-xr-x  4 user user 4096 Feb  4 07:54 chromium/
drwxr-xr-x  3 user user 4096 Feb  4 08:01 cinnamon-session/
drwxr-xr-x  2 user user 4096 Feb  4 15:02 dconf/
drwx------  9 user user 4096 Feb  4 15:01 google-chrome/
drwx------  2 user user 4096 Feb  4 12:10 gtk-2.0/
drwx------  2 user user 4096 Feb  4 12:16 gtk-3.0/
drwxr-xr-x  2 user user 4096 Feb  4 07:54 hexchat/
drwxr-xr-x  2 user user 4096 Feb  4 08:08 linuxmint/
drwxr-xr-x  3 user user 4096 Feb  4 08:01 menus/
drwxr-xr-x  2 user user 4096 Feb  4 08:11 nemo/
drwx------  2 user user 4096 Feb  4 08:01 pulse/
-rw-r--r--  1 user user 8420 Feb  4 11:58 Trolltech.conf
-rw-------  1 user user  632 Feb  4 08:01 user-dirs.dirs
-rw-r--r--  1 user user    5 Feb  4 08:01 user-dirs.locale
drwx------  2 user user 4096 Feb  4 12:14 vlc/
total 44
drwxr-xr-x 11 user user 4096 Feb  4 08:01 ./
drwxr-xr-x  5 user user 4096 Feb  4 12:16 ../
drwxr-xr-x  2 user user 4096 Feb  4 08:01 calendar@cinnamon.org/
drwxr-xr-x  2 user user 4096 Feb  4 08:01 keyboard@cinnamon.org/
drwxr-xr-x  2 user user 4096 Feb  4 12:42 menu@cinnamon.org/
drwxr-xr-x  2 user user 4096 Feb  4 08:01 notifications@cinnamon.org/
drwxr-xr-x  2 user user 4096 Feb  4 10:47 panel-launchers@cinnamon.org/
drwxr-xr-x  2 user user 4096 Feb  4 08:01 power@cinnamon.org/
drwxr-xr-x  2 user user 4096 Feb  4 08:01 sound@cinnamon.org/
drwxr-xr-x  2 user user 4096 Feb  4 08:01 user@cinnamon.org/
drwxr-xr-x  2 user user 4096 Feb  4 08:01 window-list@cinnamon.org/
user@ROSA ~ $ 
And this from the second command (Nothing)

find $HOME ! -user $USER -type f
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

As I already wrote: wrong ownership could have been one reason for the problem, but there could be something else.

If I understand this post from you right, my previous advice worked for you. We now try to modify it more to the point.
As I wrote in this context, there was a few days ago a similar problem in the German board. Investigations lead to the result, that the problem did exist in those 2 folders:
  • .config/menus
    .local/share/applications
Perhaps the causes are for you at he same place. It is a shot in the dark, but reasoned, at least worth a try.
Go into the folder .config and rename menus to menus.bck
Go into the folder .local/share and rename applications to applications.bck
Log off and back in.
What gives?
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

No change that I can see.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

It was a try.

When I gave you the advice about .config and .local here I asked you, whether the source of the problem can assigned to one of the 2 folders or if you need to rename both of them to solve the problem. I cannot find an answer about this detail.
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

I got the Menu back after that procedure but no I did not try them one at a time.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Testing those folders one by one is the only chance to limit the needed time to find the culprit.
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

I will do that.
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

Ok, I did the first one (.config) and I see the menu in the left hand position as it should be. I will have to wait until that disappears to test the other one.
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

The Menu applet on the left disappeared again but I just found out where it is hiding. If I hover on the extreme left end of the panel I can see the right edge of the applet appear as well as the menu name appears. If you hover on the menu applet a square box appears around the icon part of which I can see. Another change to the panel occurs too which I failed to mention. All of the applets on the right half of the panel are lower than they started out to be. They are cut off at the bottom but the left side is not.
Panel.png
Cosmo, Since the Menu app disappeared again, I did the test on ,local (to .local.bck) and the panel was not restored as it was with .config.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Looking at the picture I wonder, what is the resolution of your desktop?

Furthermore you should switch back to the default theme.

And one thing more, which I do not get: You complain about the missing menu, but in this thread you showed the menu. :?
Last edited by Cosmo. on Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

Resolution is 1920X1080 on 40" tv. I can bring up the menu; it is the Menu Applet which is missing but as I said it is not actually missing but simply not visible as it is too far to the left to be seen. I found that if I place my cursor all the way to the left that I can deploy the menu from there even though I can not actually see the applet. I can also add Menu applets to the panel as well as deploy the menu with the SuperL key. The panel is now too wide and again like I said the ones on the right are "cut off". The ones on the left are fine. If that were due to resolution I think they would all be "cut off". The panel is restored by changing .config as we showed before.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

As Cosmo said...
What you have looks like the result of using a Cinnamon theme which is made for older Cinnamon versions, and is not compatible with the current version of Cinnamon. Switch back to the default Mint-X theme to check, and the default icon set.
The default icon set is Mint-X
The default Cinnamon theme ("Desktop") is Linux Mint.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

I just did that and restarted the computer but there is no change to the panel. I decreased the height of the panel and still the applets are cut off.
aaa.png
I tried removing the double scaling, restarted, and the panel applets are no longer cut off but the menu applet is still out of sight to the left.
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

I turned off a feature in Panel Settings and the applets are now scaled to fit in the panel without being cut off. The feature is "Allow Cinnamon to scale panel text and icons according to the panel heights". Left side is still out of view.
dddd.png
Below is a view of the left side of the panel with cursor hovering which shows the hidden applet. The cursor is not visible in the screenshot.
aaa.png
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

I just saw, that I forgot in my previous post to set the link to the other thread with the menu showing for Ozo. I have corrected this. And I still don't now, why you say here, that the menu is to far to left, whereas it is to be seen on a very uncommon place - in the screenshot in the other thread. 2 Users with the same name in the forum? (Rhetorical, because impossible)
Ozo wrote:Resolution is 1920X1080 on 40" tv.
Next astonishment: How can with one single window open / shown in the window list applet the panel can get completely full with a width of 1920 pixel?

I have no explanation for those 2 strange things.

A vague idea is a possibly wrong setting of the tv monitor which leads to cutting the left most part of the desktop. If this should be true, also the left part of maximized program windows shut get cut at the left side.
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

The menu is shown on the right side of the screen when deployed from a menu applet which has been added to the panel. Added menu applets are added on the right side of the panel and when deployed produce the menu also on the right. The reason you do not see a menu applet on that side in the screenshot is that the icon has been changed to a custom icon. In this case it is the green/blue alien. I like to see the custom icons and so I have added four menu applets and customized the icons. I have the alien, the frog, the music note, and the violin. Any of those will deploy the menu but I still out of habit use the one on the left even though I can barely see it.
Yes, the panel seems to have its own resolution problem. I have seen on an other Mint version that there is an option to change the width of the panel although that option is not available on Rosa.

Return to “Cinnamon”