Menu Applet Missing From Panel

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Ozo

Menu Applet Missing From Panel

Post by Ozo »

On the panel applet list the Menu applet is apparently installed but is not visible on the panel. I selected default applets but still see no Menu applet on the panel. This is the second time this has happened recently. The first time I reloaded the OS and all was well but that is not a very good solution. Any suggestions?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Menu Applet Missing From Panel

Post by Moem »

:shock:
May I ask what you were doing when it happened?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

The computer had been off (not sleeping) all night and when started first thing in the morning had no Menu. So, to answer your question, I was sleeping.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Okay, and did you make any changes to your system yesterday?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

Are you saying that you may have a solution other than reloading the OS?
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

No. But I'm saying that something must have happened to cause this, and if we can find out what it is, it may be possible to stop it from happenening again. I'd say that would be pretty useful.

Ozo

Post by Ozo »

I am reloading the OS in the meantime. Thanks for helping once again.
Last edited by Ozo on Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

I have reloaded Cinnamint and restored the programs and customizations so it is working perfectly as I like it. Still I would like to find out what is causing the panel problem. I am seriously considering a move to a more stable version if I do not find a solution and especially if the Menu disappears mysteriously once again. That is only one glitch I am experiencing but a printer problem is still there as well. I am leaving this thread open.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

I have not lost the menu in all the years Cinnamon does exist and on all systems I use.

My suspicion is, that you right clicked the menu and selected - erroneously - to remove it.
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

Someone else mentioned that in an earlier thread (by me) regarding this issue so I have been sure not to do that. No, I did not remove it accidentally. It still is active according to the Applet list and after reverting the applets to default it is still missing .
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Does the menu open when you hit the default keyboard shortcut (Super L)?

Ozo

Post by Ozo »

I do not know what the Super L is.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Super key (in Windows, it's known as the Windows key) combined with the key for the letter L. But you can also change that shortcut setting in Panel settings.

Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Ozo wrote:It still is active according to the Applet list and after reverting the applets to default it is still missing .
There was a similar problem a few days ago in the German board. It came out, that there where defective files in the user account on 2 places. Identifying them solved the probem.

To investigate in it do the following:
Open the file manager and make hidden files visible (ctrl-h). Rename the folder .config to .config.bck and .local to .local.bck.
Immediately log off and back in.
Does the menu work now?
If so rename at first the folder .config.bck back to original. Log off - back in. Check
Rename .config again to .confog.bck and .local.bck back to original. Log off - back in. Check.
In which cases does the problem come back?
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

Cosmo, I can not do that because I just reloaded the OS and of course the Menu icon is present. However, I am bookmarking this post and will be sure to use it if and when the issue arises down the road. I will also follow the advise of MOem regarding the Super key.
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

Well, that didn't take long. The Menu applet is missing from the panel. Fortunately I can add one or more if I wish unlike the earlier instance. I will try the tip from Cosmo in the morning. I tried Super L and that gave me an internet sarch for Linux Mint not the menu. I may try to reconfigure that in panel options tomorrow as well.

The only problem with the new Menu applets is that they are not on the left side as before. For a safety measure, I added a panel at the top (self hiding) and added a menu applet to that as well. :D While I was messing around there I discovered the Menu Editor which is accessed by clicking the bottom selection when configuring the Menu applet (in applets). Here is a screenshot of that. It has a lot of items normally hidden in the menu. I have no idea what it is for :mrgreen:
Main Menu.png
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

I took Cosmo's tip and yes it did restore the Menu. It also set pretty much everything to the defaults. Still, I am back to normal and faster than a complete reloading of the OS. There is a global default reset in Troubleshoot which is in the panel menu (right click) that I am thinking would have accomplished the same thing but I had hesitated to do that before. Thanks for the tip Cosmo. And thanks once again MOem for your assist.
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

Cosmo, the .local folder is back so I can not rename .local.bak and .config as well. Should I delete the .bak versions?

Never mind, I just deleted them and reset the computer.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

M0em wrote:Super key (in Windows, it's known as the Windows key) combined with the key for the letter L. But you can also change that shortcut setting in Panel settings.
Correction. There is no "key for the letter L" involved.
"Super-L" means the Super (Windows) key on the left side.
"Super-R" means the Super (Windows) key on the right side.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Silly me! Well, good to know and thanks for the rectification. :oops:

Return to “Cinnamon”