[SOLVED]System Tray Missing

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Ozo

[SOLVED]System Tray Missing

Post by Ozo »

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinnamon: I select the System Tray Applet but I get the Network Manager Icon on the panel. It is the same icon as the actual Network Manager Applet only larger. When I click the Applet on the tray which is supposed to be the System Tray (the big network icon) I get network information. There is no System Tray.
Panel.png
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: System Tray Missing

Post by Cosmo. »

Open the applet settings and check, if there is a green dot icon behind the tray icon. If this does not show, the applet is not added to the panel.

If this does not help, revert your theme to the default theme to see, if this changes anything.
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

I am using the default theme. However; today I have a bigger problem than that. I do not actually know how big a problem not having a system tray is. Today I started my computer and have no Menu applet on the panel. The phony System applet is missing too. I reset to default panel applets but there is no change. I noticed another change too. The desktop icons were showing but had previously been off.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Ozo wrote:The phony System applet is missing too.
What do you mean with this?

Create a new user account and check there, if it reproduces the problem.
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

Read my first post. I just reloaded the OS so am marking this solved but if you know why this happens please post it .

The System Tray is present now. It is the Update icon.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Ozo wrote: if you know why this happens please post it .
Do you mean, why the tray applet vanished? Maybe this: There is a new option in LM 17.3 Cinnamon for supporting indicators in the tray, activated by default. This makes it rather easy to remove the complete applet erroneously. Yo can deactivate it in the general settings of cinnamon.
Ozo

Re: [SOLVED]System Tray Missing

Post by Ozo »

You are correct. There was an HP icon beside the update icon and when I removed it the update icon was removed as well. However, when I added the System Tray applet to the panel it added an icon similar to the network icon that included network info but not the same info as in the default network applet. Now, following my reinstall of the OS, I can remove and replace the system tray and when replaced it is the actual system tray (with update icon) and not the previous network type applet. As to why the genuine system tray applet was missing from the applet list, it is a mystery.
Shadowstreik
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Shadowstreik »

Yes, this may be a necro-post, but I just ran into this problem.

My system tray "disappeared", mysteriously. I was running version 18.3...

18.3 - I cold-rebooted, still gone.
19 - I upgraded off of 18.3 to 19, still gone.
19 - I made a new user, problem remained in that user, still gone.

I want to (re)install the system tray package. What is its name?
$ sudo apt-get install systemtray
[sudo] password for triton:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package systemtray
Thank you.
Shadowstreik of Teh AnKorage

Skál!

https://fe.disroot.org/@ankorage

Shadowstreik
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Shadowstreik »

All fixed. Thank you, anyhow.

Solution:
- Right-click in system tray, click 'Troubleshoot', click 'Restore all settings to default'.
Shadowstreik of Teh AnKorage

Skál!

https://fe.disroot.org/@ankorage

Return to “Cinnamon”