[SOLVED]HP printer plugin will not load

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Ozo

[SOLVED]HP printer plugin will not load

Post by Ozo »

I have L. Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinnamon

I am missing the HP printer plugin and when I run $ sudo hp-plugi n-g in the Terminal I get this;

user@Linux ~ $ $ sudo hp-plugin -g
$: command not found
user@Linux ~ $ sudo hp-plugin -g
[sudo] password for user:

HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 3.15.2)
Plugin Download and Install Utility ver. 2.1

Copyright (c) 2001-15 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, LP
This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.

hp-plugin[4445]: debug: Locking: /var/hp-plugin.lock
hp-plugin[4445]: debug: Unable to open file /var/lib/hp/hplip.state for reading.
hp-plugin[4445]: debug: Loading user settings...
hp-plugin[4445]: debug: FAB command: /usr/bin/hp-fab
hp-plugin[4445]: debug: Scan command: /usr/bin/simple-scan %SANE_URI%
hp-plugin[4445]: debug: Auto refresh: False
hp-plugin[4445]: debug: Auto refresh rate: 30
hp-plugin[4445]: debug: Auto refresh type: 1
hp-plugin[4445]: debug: Systray visible: 0
hp-plugin[4445]: debug: Systray messages: 0
hp-plugin[4445]: debug: Last used device URI: hp:/usb/HP_LaserJet_Professional_P_1102w?serial=000000000W471Y0PPR1a
hp-plugin[4445]: debug: Last used printer: HP-LaserJet-Professional-P-1102w
hp-plugin[4445]: debug: Working directory: /home/user/Downloads/hplip-3.15.11.run
hp-plugin[4445]: debug: Starting GUI loop...

(python3:4445): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_widget_get_direction: assertion 'GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed

(python3:4445): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_widget_get_direction: assertion 'GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed

Done.
hp-plugin[4445]: debug: Unlocking: /var/hp-plugin.lock
user@Linux ~ $
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
GreyGeek

Re: HP printer plugin will not load

Post by GreyGeek »

I attempted to install hplip 3.15.2 and experienced a checksum error and failure while attempting to download the plugin from HP's website. They'll have to fix that. The logs also gave an ibus error (I didn't have ibus installed), and a couple other errors I've forgotten. I downloaded the hplip-3.14.3.run file from http://sourceforge.net/projects/hplip/f ... ip/3.14.3/ and ran it. Installed fine.
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

That will not open for me. I use this, " sudo apt-get install -gui" and it loads with no apparent errors but I did not see a mention of a plugin in the Terminal entries so I think I may have a problem when actually trying to use it tomorrow. Below is the error I get when I select " Download hplip-3.15.11.run (22.3 MB)" from the link you prescribed.
ERROR.png
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

I just reloaded the OS (again) and tried the link above in fact several. Two would not open but one did (hplip-3.14.3.tar.gz) but I do not know how to install it so that I get the HPlip Toolbox etc..(GUI).
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

GreyGeek wrote:I attempted to install hplip 3.15.2 and experienced a checksum error and failure while attempting to download the plugin from HP's website. They'll have to fix that. The logs also gave an ibus error (I didn't have ibus installed), and a couple other errors I've forgotten. I downloaded the hplip-3.14.3.run file from http://sourceforge.net/projects/hplip/f ... ip/3.14.3/ and ran it. Installed fine.
I got the hplip 3.15.2 using the text I mentioned before and in the HP settings from the panel icon I checked the update box so hopefully that will work ok. Printer will be here in a few minutes.
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

The HP printer (Laserjet Pro MFP M125nw wireless) is here but it will not work because the plugin is missing. I do not know how to get it. I am keeping this printer because it works just fine wirelessly with a stick pc Windows 10 that I have attached to the back of my TV. I just jump to that if I need to print. I do not do that often so it will do for now. I can also print from my tablet to it.

I still will look for a solution to the Linux Mint plugin problem but it is not something I will lose sleep over.
GreyGeek

Post by GreyGeek »

Someone posted on this forum a solution to the hplip-3.15.2 plugin corruption problem by going to this website and downloading the hplip-3.15.2-plugin.run file and saving it locally. Then he reran hp-setup and instead of letting the install program go to HP's website and get their plugin, which fails the checksum test, he browsed to where he had downloaded the plugin above and selected it. The plugin installed fine and the printer worked.
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

I just did that and the plugin loaded successfully. The printer now prints with the usb cable attached but will not enable wireless printing.When I tried I got this:
jjjj.png
Pressed OK and got this:
vvvv.png
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

I am marking this thread as solved since the missing plugin was the subject and now it is not missing. Thanks to Grey Geek for your tenacity in following up on my threads. I see we both went to level two because of all these posts. You can paint one more solved flag on the nose of your fighter Grey Geek. :)

I just started a new thread regarding this new problem.
GreyGeek

Post by GreyGeek »

Ozo wrote:... You can paint one more solved flag on the nose of your fighter Grey Geek. :)
You must be psychic! I'd rather fly than eat and I am hungry all the time! :D

Return to “Cinnamon”