A Way to Change Background Colour in Nautilus?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Etoja
Level 1
Level 1

A Way to Change Background Colour in Nautilus?

Post by Etoja »

I wonder if there is a simple way (if any) to change the colour of the nautilus background in cinnamon (17.3) ? The white background hurts my eyes badly. Also my wife has just rejected the idea of having Mint on her computer due to the want of this seemingly obvious function... I am sure there are quite a lot of perplexed folks around.
For all I remember I WAS able to change it to some nice grey colour about 6 or 7 years ago through Edit/Backgrounds in nautilus, I think it was Mint 9 or 10, not sure. But I can't find it in 17.3.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Re: A WAY TO CHANGE BACKGROUND COLOUR IN NAUTILUS?

Post by austin.texas »

There are a lot of themes available with different colors.
Rainy Day Blues
RainyDayBlues.jpg
Greybird
Greybird.jpg
Brahim's Dragon Pack
BrahimDragon.jpg
Tutorial - The Basics of Mint 17 Cinnamon themes
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
Etoja
Level 1
Level 1

Re: A Way to Change Background Colour in Nautilus?

Post by Etoja »

austin.texas, thanks for your effort and suggested solution. However it is not what I need. I am very happy with the way my Linux Mint looks and functions, i use colour codes with my databases, everything is optimized apart from the offensive to eyes white background. I tried various themes, but many themes mess up emblems and folder colour coding - both I use very extensively. I guess I need to manually edit cinnamon.css file, but I can't find the line with the folder background colour code.
It is very strange that the folder background option is removed from the system.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

It would not be in cinnamon.css
Nemo colors are gtk3. If you are using Mint-X, edit /usr/share/themes/Mint-X/gtk-3.0//gtk-main.css
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
Etoja
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Etoja »

austin.texas , thanks! I have opened the file you pointed out to, but still no luck - I can't determine which line in this file indicates the background field colour, there is no obvious indicator to this function.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

I believe these are still correct for the current gtk3:
background color of Nemo
@define-color dark_bg_color #3c3b37;
@define-color dark_fg_color blue;

@define-color button_bg_color shade (#bbe4ff, 1.06); - controls slide bar handle, shade on Name, Date, Owner in Nemo, unfocused buttons in Settings

selected_fg_color = Sidebar Text Color
selected_bg_color = Sidebar Background Color

tooltip_fg_color = File Menu Text Color
tooltip_bg_color = File Menu Background Color

HOW-TO-CHANGE-THE-COLORS-OF-MINT-X-GTK-PART-1.pdf

HOW-TO-CHANGE-THE-COLORS-OF-MINT-X-GTK-PART-2.pdf

HOW-TO-CHANGE-THE-COLORS-OF-MINT-X-GTK-PART-3.pdf

I usually experiment with changing a particular element to red, to see what it controls.
Linux Linx 2018
caribriz

Post by caribriz »

The tutorials linked to above are specifically for the Mint-X gtk theme in LM16.

The Mint-X theme has changed somewhat since then, so those old instructions may not work with newer releases.

These newer tutorials are specifically for LM17:

http://www.mediafire.com/view/nounijpy2 ... -COLOR.pdf

http://www.mediafire.com/view/1o7bru2ej ... -COLOR.pdf

http://www.mediafire.com/view/128esaqby ... -COLOR.pdf

Be aware that these LM17 tutorials may not work with future releases of Linux Mint.

PS. Those tutorials won't change the background color of Nemo's window from white.
Etoja wrote:
For all I remember I WAS able to change it to some nice grey colour about 6 or 7 years ago through Edit/Backgrounds in nautilus, I think it was Mint 9 or 10, not sure. But I can't find it in 17.3.
This isn't available in the Cinnamon edition of LM17.3.
I think the mate version still has the ability to change the background color of Caja's window via Edit > Backgrounds - at least, the LM17 version still had it.
Last edited by caribriz on Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Thanks, caribriz !
I didn't know you had updated those.
Linux Linx 2018
caribriz

Post by caribriz »

If interested, see here for further info - experiment changing Nemo file manager background color.
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 2#p1130722
tsooinves

Post by tsooinves »

Hello all!

This is great. I've just tried it and it worked like a charm!
Now I'm trying to change the "System settings" background and font colour but I can't find it anywhere! I've been sifting and looking through tons of .css and all for almost 4hours but no luck. You guys please have any idea?
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

gtk.css
@define-color bg_color #c4ecb6;
Linux Linx 2018
tsooinves

Post by tsooinves »

austin.texas wrote:gtk.css
@define-color bg_color #c4ecb6;
Thanks a lot! It worked fine, don't even know why I didn't see it (so stupid :D )
Kind regards

Return to “Cinnamon”