Background settings through Eye Of Gnome [Workaround]

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Summerof69
Level 4
Level 4

Background settings through Eye Of Gnome [Workaround]

Post by Summerof69 »

Hi everyone - I've noticed a minor issue with the "background settings" in Cinnamon, and the picture viewer "gthumb" (the process is called "eog")

If I want to change wallpaper, I got several choices to do so; I can right click on the desktop and choose "change background settings" or "background" (I don't know what it's called in English, I use the Danish translation)
or
I can use Nemo or any other file explorer to find a picture and right click on it and choose "use as background"
or
I can use "gthumb" to view some pictures and then right click on the picture that I want, and choose "use as background image".

The issue here is the last mentioned way of change the wallpaper, because after using "gthumb" to change wallpaper, a blue bar is visible on the very top of "gthumb" window, and I got 2 buttons with the following choices:
"Hide" to hide the bar, and "open background settings" to open the background settings.

If I choose "open background settings" when the blue bar is visible nothing happens. And that is the problem in a nutshell.

I just noticed this the other day, and I'm convinced that the issue did not exist in Linux Mint version 17.1 - I use Linux Mint version 17.2

Nemo version:2.6.7
gthumb (Eye Of Gnome) version: 3.10.2
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
For millions of years mankind lived much like the animals
Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination
We learned to talk
All we need to do is make sure we keep talking
Stephen Hawkin's voice on Keep Talking by Pink Floyd
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Background settings through Eye Of Gnome

Post by Cosmo. »

Eye of Gnome (EoG) and gthumb are 2 different programs; don't mix them. Both are preinstalled. Taken from the reported version number you reported you indeed mean EOG. Try gthumb instead.
Summerof69
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Summerof69 »

Ok Cosmo my mistake. :?

I've tried both programs now, and none of them are able to open the background settings.

If I try Eyg then nothing happens as described in the first post.

If I try gThumb then a message appears, and I will try to translate to English:

"Could not show settings for the desktop background" and below in the box "Error when running the below (or under) process "gnome-control-center" (No such file or catalogue).

So maybe that is it then. If it is, I don't know how to fix it.

Update:
I have installed "gnome-control-center" through the program manager. And I get this settings menu in stead of nothing or an Error message:
We learned to talk
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

You have Cinnamon, not (pure) Gnome. This might explain, why Eye of Gnome (this is not Eye of Cinnamon), does not find the Cinnamon wallpaper settings. And the gnome settings will obviously not help either, as you found out yourself. But you can simply launch the Cinnamon wallpaper settings from the context menu of the desktop. BTW: There is no difference in the behavior of eog in LM 17.1; out of the described reasons it would be astonishing, if it would have worked in LM 17.1.

I cannot reproduce your problem with gthumb. If I change the wallpaper there, it works. Gthumb does not even try to open the wallpaper settings.
Summerof69
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Summerof69 »

Cosmo. wrote: But you can simply launch the Cinnamon wallpaper settings from the context menu of the desktop.

Thank you for your reply Cosmo.
Please don't get me wrong, but I quite aware of that. I assumed when I described the ways to change wallpaper that it would be obvious to the reader that I am very able to change wallpaper, also through gthumb and eog and right clicking on the desktop.
And when I choose the desktop way I'm taken to the correct background settings in the cinnamon settings manager. So it works. :)
Cosmo. wrote: I cannot reproduce your problem with gthumb. If I change the wallpaper there, it works. Gthumb does not even try to open the wallpaper settings.
The problem at hand is not about changing the wallpaper, only launching the background settings after changing the wallpaper, either through "eog" or "gthumb" :)
It is not that I have to change something, I'm just pointing out that a function does not work. And gthumb or eog doesn't try to open something by itself.
Cosmo. wrote:BTW: There is no difference in the behavior of eog in LM 17.1; out of the described reasons it would be astonishing, if it would have worked in LM 17.1.
My memory may be declining and I guess that you know that better than me. :)
Cosmo. wrote:You have Cinnamon, not (pure) Gnome. This might explain, why Eye of Gnome (this is not Eye of Cinnamon), does not find the Cinnamon wallpaper settings.
Indeed it does. :) But why keep the blue bar and the "open background settings" then?
We learned to talk
Summerof69
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Summerof69 »

@Cosmo: I think that we're misunderstanding each other at certain posts. :(
That is not the intention.
We learned to talk
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Don't worry, you're welcome.

The blue bar is most likely there, because eog doesn't know, that it does not run under Cinnamon. Most likely it thinks, I am the eye, so the rest must exist also.
Summerof69
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Summerof69 »

LOL
I guess you're right about that Cosmo.
No OS is perfect, but the flaws I find in Linux Mint are really more oddities than failures and errors.

I assume this is what happens when you mix gnome and cinnamon and move on immediately. :lol:

I once tried cinnamon in Ubuntu 12.04 and it made my Unity "fubar". (All I really thought I installed were Nemo due to the cancellation of the split window in Nautilus , but cinnamon tagged along. :roll: )
We learned to talk
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

It is indeed questionable, which benefit eog shall have, if gthumb is preinstalled at the same time.

Return to “Cinnamon”