How do I install Cinnamon over KDE?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SilverBear

How do I install Cinnamon over KDE?

Post by SilverBear »

Greetings, folks!

I'm running Mint 17.2 KDE, upgraded from the original 17.1 installation last year. Now I'm wanting to add Cinnamon as a second DE choice. . . BUT here's where I make it complicated(!):

Since Cinnamon Rosa just came out, I'm thinking that's what I'd like to try. Cinnamon is just an experiment for me --I've been a die-hard KDE user since 2005. So the stability of Rosa is not so crucial --I can always just log into the KDE if there are problems --it won't mess up my system enough to make me cry.

Question #1: Does this seem reasonable to you, or am I asking for serious problems by trying Rosa as my Cinnamon addition?

Question #2 involves the best way to install Cinnamon (Rosa?) alongside my existing KDE. I have a few ideas from reading the forums & the Blog, but it seems prudent to get your feedback on Question #1, first, before I get into that.

thanks,
--SilveBear
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Re: How do I install Cinnamon over KDE?

Post by austin.texas »

SilverBear wrote:Question #1: Does this seem reasonable to you, or am I asking for serious problems by trying Rosa as my Cinnamon addition?
Really, the only safe way is to install Mint with Cinnamon to a different partition and dual boot the two operating systems.
You would be asking for potential problems by installing both KDE and Cinnamon to the same Mint installation. It is not a good idea. Those are two very different desktops.
You will get differing opinions, but that is mine... I wouldn't try it.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

If you want to test Cinnamon, I suggest to install VirtualBox and install Mint with Cinnamon in a virtual machine. So you can ply with Cinnamon without the need to interrupt your work in your KDE system.
SilverBear

Post by SilverBear »

Both very good suggestions. Thanks!
I've done KDE & XFCE as alternate logins on the same antiX -MX install with no serious conflicts, but I didn't want to mess up my beautiful, smooth Rafaela by assuming anything.

I'll just grab an ISO for the beta of Rosa and try that on one of my two empty 20-GB OS slots on this HDD.

Thanks again!
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cmost »

@ Austin.Texas

There's no reason to install Mint Cinnamon to a separate partition or even in a virtual machine. I've often installed multiple desktop environments simultaneously and there are no issues whatsoever. Each desktop environment keeps its own settings in its own folder within home. Switching between KDE and Cinnamon (or LMDE, XFCE, etc.) is fairly trivial in my opinion. Simply open a terminal and enter:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install cinnamon
When it's finished installing, log out and then choose 'Cinnamon' as your session. Viola. Setup Cinnamon as you prefer (taskbar locations, desktop icons, themes, etc.) and it will remain that way even if you switch back and forth between Cinnamon and KDE.
Dual Intel Xeon 3.6 GHz, 24 Cores
192 GB DDR3 RAM
AMD Radeon Pro WX 7100
Telefoos

Post by Telefoos »

cmost wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:54 pm @ Austin.Texas

There's no reason to install Mint Cinnamon to a separate partition or even in a virtual machine. I've often installed multiple desktop environments simultaneously and there are no issues whatsoever. Each desktop environment keeps its own settings in its own folder within home. Switching between KDE and Cinnamon (or LMDE, XFCE, etc.) is fairly trivial in my opinion. Simply open a terminal and enter:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install cinnamon
When it's finished installing, log out and then choose 'Cinnamon' as your session. Viola. Setup Cinnamon as you prefer (taskbar locations, desktop icons, themes, etc.) and it will remain that way even if you switch back and forth between Cinnamon and KDE.
Does this really work ?
im trying to change my KDE to cinnamon
System: Host: aliyous-Aspire-VX5-591G Kernel: 4.10.0-38-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.8.8 (Qt 5.6.1) dm: sddm,sddm
Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
Telefoos

Post by Telefoos »

Hey cmost

i did what u said ... and some stuff happened in terminal ( downloading and installing )
then i restarted my system and ... nothing :( no cinnamon was added
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

SilverBear wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:55 pm Question #1: Does this seem reasonable to you, or am I asking for serious problems by trying Rosa as my Cinnamon addition?
You're headed for trouble, especially if you have to ask for support when you've mangled your system into complete uselessness.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

Return to “Cinnamon”