Auto mounted devs invisible from Wine and lots of other apps

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
NBON

Auto mounted devs invisible from Wine and lots of other apps

Post by NBON »

Hello,
I'm using Linux Mint Cinnamon.
I'm using a NAS and usb keys, they are mounted automatically and I can see them in Nemo. Great. BUT :
This auto mount is not visible in the file system. I only can see it in Nemo, but Wine and the majority of all applications I'm installing can't see it.

I tried a workaround using the usual mount command. I added the following line in /etc/fstab :
//192.168.0.9/MyShare /NAS/Share cifs iocharset=utf8,username="User",password="Pass",rw,nounix,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,uid=stpan,gid=stpan 0 0
When I type
sudo mount -a
I get : mount error(13): Permission denied
Of course, the username and password are correct. I'm doing the same thing from my raspberry and it works ...

I can't reasonably imagine that I am the first guy in the world trying to use some external files with apps in Linux Mint.
Does anyone have a solution ?
Thank you for the help ...

NB
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Auto mounted devs invisible from Wine and lots of other

Post by altair4 »

I read through your post a couple of times and I guess I'm confused.

Is the "NAS and usb keys" attached to your Mint system directly or are these network devices?

The cifs entry in fstab would be for a network asset.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
NBON

Post by NBON »

The NAS is on the local network (as seen in fstab : //192.168.0.9).
The USB key is local to this computer, but it appears identically as a temporary storage.
USB isn't so important to me (I guess I can find it in /media/something, but this is useless, as I never work directly on a usb drive).
But NAS is, as I use it to store Gigabytes, and as my computer runs on a small SSD disk, with little free space.
  • + The main question could be : What is the path to my network files in Linux Mint ? (ie a path looking like /thing/something). And how can I set it once for all ?
  • + Other way to ask the same question : How can I (permanently) mount my network drives in Linux Mint (of course, I already tried /etc/fstab (result explained in previous post) and manual mount).
  • + Why do I need a permanent path to my network files ? Because most Linux applications, including Wine, need it. Otherwise, they can't see them.
Thank you for the help ...
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

What is the path to my network files in Linux Mint ?
/run/user/1000/gvfs/smb-share=server-name,share=share-name
The "1000" is your uid number so it may be different for you than it is for me.

If you make a bookmark to the /run/user/1000/gvfs folder in your file manager it will show up in most applications. Have no idea about wine.
Other way to ask the same question : How can I (permanently) mount my network drives in Linux Mint
You could use gigolo to have it automount but it will place the mount point in the same place.
of course, I already tried /etc/fstab (result explained in previous post) and manual mount
The problem with the cifs mount may be that age of the samba server ( or similar software ) on the NAS itself. You can sometimes get the mount to work by specifying an earlier security protocol - ntlm:
//192.168.0.9/MyShare /NAS/Share cifs iocharset=utf8,username="User",password="Pass",rw,nounix,sec=ntlm,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,uid=stpan,gid=stpan 0 0
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

Return to “Cinnamon”