No system tray detected...

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Joca022
Level 1
Level 1

No system tray detected...

Post by Joca022 »

At first, I apologize for bad English!

Issue:

I had trouble during install the plugin for my HP LaserJet P1005 on Linux Mint Cinnamon 17.3 I could't find an appropriate plugin. The default was installed 3.15.2 hplip. Then I uninstalled all related 3.15.2 hplip, and then install the latest hplip (3.15.11.run) but for him I can't find an appropriate plugin . Printer started working, but I lost my system tray. This is very sloppy and I don't know how long work.

Gentlemen, if you have an idea, I would be grateful.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Joca !
Ark987

Re: No system tray detected...

Post by Ark987 »

The system tray in Cinnamon is just another applet in the panel.

At some poin it was removed from yours. Go to the panel sttings and add the tray applet.

Notification is a different one, look for system tray and add to the panel.
Joca022
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Joca022 »

I overlooked it.
The system tray is resolved.

Thanks and regards!
Joca !
Wave
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Wave »

I had been using MenuLibre (aka 'Menu Editor') to clean up my xdg applications, as there were a bunch of them in bad state after years of hacking. (BTW, the

Code: Select all

Menu bar | Menu Editor | Parsing Error Log
command produces a nice list of application desktops that are broken in some way or have other errors.)

So I had edited

~/.local/shared/applications/cinnamon.desktop
just to simply give it a better comment, i.e. that if run it would restart cinnamon. (As I can now see, it also starts cinnamon, like initially.)

But MenuLibre had revised it and this broke my ability for Cinnamon's panel and menu to start up. Also the background was black, and I could only operate on GUI tool, the most recent one. And there were no close buttons on anything. .. (But, note I could right click on the screen and get a terminal and also I could use

Ctl-Alt-F1
to open a tty.)

To find the solution to what had broken I had to restore ~/.local/shared/applications. Little at a time with divide and conquer I located the file that caused the issue, after a whole bunch of painful reboots to test it.

SOLUTION: Restoring this file fixed things:

cinnamon.desktop

Return to “Cinnamon”