I broke libxml2 and Cinnamon with it

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Shinespark

I broke libxml2 and Cinnamon with it

Post by Shinespark »

Hello, yesterday I was doing some work running code and the code complained that it couldn't find the header xmlmemory.h or something like that. I forgot the name and I can't check it right this second.
I just assumed I didn't have libxml2, thinking it was some obscure science package (I see this sort of thing all the time).
So I went and I got libxml2 and installed it from source.

Upon starting my computer today, Cinnamon crashed and it starts on fallback mode. Gedit doesn't work, and my update manager doesn't work either. When trying to run gedit from the command line, I get the following message:

Code: Select all

felipe@zebes ~ $ gedit
gedit: /usr/local/lib/libxml2.so.2: no version information available (required by /usr/lib/libgtksourceview-2.0.so.0)
gedit: /usr/local/lib/libxml2.so.2: no version information available (required by /usr/lib/libgtksourceview-2.0.so.0)
It does open gedit but trying to open any file crashes it with a segmentation fault.

Please help me fix my libxml2, which I suspect is the problem.
(I'm guessing the code never found the header because I just wasn't pointing at the right library)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Laurent85
Level 17
Level 17

Re: I broke libxml2 and Cinnamon with it

Post by Laurent85 »

xmlmemory.h is part of libxml2-dev package. Can't you revert libxml2 install using make uninstall command ?
Shinespark

Post by Shinespark »

Hello, thank you for your reply.

I used make uninstall, which succeeded.
I then tried to install libxml2-dev from here but I got the following error:

(synaptic:3592): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_child_watch_add_full: assertion 'pid > 0' failed
Setting up install-info (5.2.0.dfsg.1-2) ...
/etc/environment: line 3: algorithm/idlutils: No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing package install-info (--configure):
 subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
 install-info
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
A package failed to install.  Trying to recover:
Setting up install-info (5.2.0.dfsg.1-2) ...
/etc/environment: line 3: algorithm/idlutils: No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing package install-info (--configure):
 subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
 install-info
Shinespark

Post by Shinespark »

I recognized something from the error message and looked around there. Because of work, I've ocasionally had to monkey around with my environmental variables and it seems that was causing a problem. I fixed it, and installed libxml2-dev, and now Cinnamon and gedit and my desktop appear to be working properly again.

Thank you for your suggestion, I couldn't have done it without it.
Laurent85
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Laurent85 »

Glad it worked, for your information libxml2-dev is available in the official repositories, you just need to install it from Software Manager.
Shinespark

Post by Shinespark »

Yes, I installed it that way this time. If I had done that from the beginning, I wouldn't have had a problem, but I unfortunately didn't know. Thank you.
Laurent85
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Laurent85 »

When looking for a file you can use apt-file, it will return in which packages the file exists, install apt-file package:

apt install apt-file
sudo apt-file update
apt-file search <the missing file>

Return to “Cinnamon”