Missing panel options in 17.2 with Cinnamon

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
eclay42

Missing panel options in 17.2 with Cinnamon

Post by eclay42 »

I just did a fresh install of 17.2 x64 with Cinnamon and I'm missing the options from the older versions of Linux Mint to properly customize the panels.

In the old versions, there was a menu option in the panel setting that let me quickly switch to the old Gnome2 style with panels top and bottom, but the panel settings app seems to be have been oversimplified in a recent update and is missing most of the options now.

Additionally, I added a new panel in a vain attempt to manually customize my desktop and now I can't find an option anywhere to delete it.

Where are these settings hidden now?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Missing panel options in 17.2 with Cinnamon

Post by all41 »

right click in the empty panel area and turn on the Panel edit mode, then select Themes and select Gnome. Right click in a Panel and
select Modify panel to display other options.
Still in the Panel edit mode you can right click the extra panel and select Remove Panel. Lastly right click and turn the edit mode off.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

That seems ever so slightly cumbersome. Is there a way to set up panels in Cinnamon so that one can skip the enabling and disabling of an "edit mode" and just modify their panels in the usual method that it is done in DEs (by simply right-clicking on the panel and doing whatever it is that they wish to do right then and there)?

Curious,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

MDM--you're right. The Edit mode/Off does not even prevent 'accidents' like an unintentional delete of the entire panel.
I think this just locks the panel icons so they can't be repositioned.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

You don't need to use panel edit mode. Simply right click an empty area of the panel and choose Modify Panel. If you want to add a panel choose "Add panel". This will add some indicators everywhere on screen the panels can be added. Simply click the spot you want it. It's the same for moving panels.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

Okay, cool. So it is sort of like if a person gets up each morning and chooses to "select the option" of Sol still being in existence, lol? Pointless and unnecessary?

I'm trying (off and on) to talk myself into trying Cinnamon again. I want to clarify all the things that I've read about that seem to be Highly Annoying first.

Regards,
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

MtnDewManiac wrote:Okay, cool. So it is sort of like if a person gets up each morning and chooses to "select the option" of Sol still being in existence, lol? Pointless and unnecessary?

I'm trying (off and on) to talk myself into trying Cinnamon again. I want to clarify all the things that I've read about that seem to be Highly Annoying first.

Regards,
If you don't like cinnamon that's fine. You have lots of options on linux. Do you really need to leave a drive by snide remark in multiple threads though?

Adding/moving/deleting panels in actually pretty straightforward in Cinnamon. The old system had to be changed when support for panels on multiple monitors was added in 2.6
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

JosephM wrote:If you don't like cinnamon that's fine.
Of course it is. But it is NOT fine for you to attempt to "put words into another user's mouth" by inference.
JosephM wrote:You have lots of options on linux.
I don't know what gave you the opinion that I didn't already know that. Had you bothered to read my post, you would have known that I had already tried Cinnamon - but at an earlier stage in its development. I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt by assuming that was your problem, since, because - as you appear to have at least minimal reading and posting skills, the alternate explanation is that you're attempting to pick an "Internet fight," which would be both juvenilistic and pointless because most of us have more sense than to engage on such a thing.
JosephM wrote:Do you really need to leave a drive by snide remark in multiple threads though?
None of my remarks/posts are of the "drive by" variety. I'm not even positive that I know what such a thing is :roll: , but I am going to go out on a limb by making another assumption and guess that you mean it to be (figuratively) comparable to the punk that chooses to blindly fire a firearm out of a vehicle whilst someone (generally, someone else) drives the vehicle. IF that is the case, then... No. I do my best to read the posts in a thread before adding one of my own (no one is perfect, but...). I may occasionally vary from the strict definition of "on-topic" - although I have never tried to actually derail a thread, as you seem to have, here - but I do try to discuss things that are at least tangentially related to the subject and/or the words that others have posted in the thread. I also try not to offer sleights to others or to insult them. I offer, as evidence of the latter, the fact that I'm so very obviously refraining from stating what I really think of your words and am, instead, remaining civil.
JosephM wrote:Adding/moving/deleting panels in actually pretty straightforward in Cinnamon. The old system had to be changed when support for panels on multiple monitors was added in 2.6
And THAT is the type of thing that I am looking for. You could have obviated the need for me to post everything prior (in this post) by simply limiting your response to that. I would have even offered my thanks for the information. I'll make the statement again - and try to phrase it differently so there can be no reason for your misunderstanding me - in case you somehow managed to miss it: Although I have tried Cinnamon in the past and did not have a positive experience (for various reasons), I have been thinking about trying it again in hopes that it has matured and that some of its "rough edges" have been knocked off. Because of that, I have recently been seeking both more knowledge about Cinnamon and evidence that it has matured as a DE. Basically, well... A person could have a negative experience with a thing due to circumstances even though that thing might actually end up being the best choice "for them," and I have realized that there is at least the possibility that I have been discounting the choice of Cinnamon as the best DE (again, for ME) unfairly. I suppose that I could just install the thing, but my perceptions could be colored by my past experience unless I have specific examples of it being "better" (for wont of a more appropriate term) than it was in the past to examine. Additionally, I might not be the only person to be thinking along the same lines, so engaging in a discussion could prove to be helpful to others, as well. So could the responses provoked by my questions (see both others' responses to my posts and the end of your own previous one).

Ah, Mom tried to raise me decently, so: Thank you for the last paragraph in your previous post.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

eclay42

Post by eclay42 »

To get the thread back on topic, I was able to find the option to remove the panel under the modify panel menu (thanks for the tip).

Unfortunately, I do not have a gnome theme to switch to, the only themes I have are cinnamon and a bunch of linux mint color variations. What package would I need to download to get the theme?
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

There is no reason to change themes. I'm not sure why someone suggested that. You should be able to add a panel in the same menu where you removed one.
eclay42

Post by eclay42 »

I got it set up, moving and adding/removing applets is a little more obtuse than it could be but it's all working now.

Return to “Cinnamon”