Progressive changes and fixes for Cinnamon and possible fork

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bleekii
Level 1
Level 1

Progressive changes and fixes for Cinnamon and possible fork

Post by bleekii »

I think we all have love for Cinnamon here.
The main advantage of Cinnamon for me is that it provides quick access to launching apps, switching between current apps, settings, and my files. This is done with limited use of excessive nesting or gimmicky menus.

I have three suggestions.
1. A fix for centered items in panels.
03.jpg
This could be a fix for traditional cinnamon.

2. The UI should scale all fonts, icons, and menus to size on the screen. I say this because by default Cinnamon is annoyingly small on my 4K display. Most displays can run some resolution with a height of 768px. Why not have have everything scale by ”Item Size” * “Current Screen Height”/768. So for example a 32px icon on a 4K display would be 32*2160/768=90. That would be so nice and simple if everything was scaled like that.

3. I want to do away with the traditional desktop. PUT THE STONES DOWN, and let me explain how this could be elegantly in a Cinnamon fashion.

The traditional desktop is just a fast way to access files, networks, and other file centric items. In a digital world which has become consumption app and cloud centric, we developer have been pushed aside by other desktop. But not Cinnamon. We need quick access to our files, settings, and app switching. Don't you dare nest those, or face the wrath of our complaints and forum rants.

The issue I have is that the desktop it redundant and messy. All it's key functionality can be placed into the menu applet where it would be easier to access and cleaner.

So I say do away with the desktop.
05.jpg
The menu could just remain open until an app is launched.
06.png
I say all this with so much love for cinnamon. But, while I am an application coder where I've done UI coding, I have no idea where to start changing cinnamon. Would I need to make a fork of the whole desktop or could I do this with addons? How do I do this? If you like these ideas, please help. If you have good criticism, please share. If this fills you with rage, remember, from freedom came elegance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Progressive changes and fixes for Cinnamon and possible

Post by jimallyn »

I believe all the Cinnamon code is available on github. You might download it and see how hard it would be to make the changes you want.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
bleekii
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bleekii »

Okay, the fork is named Cinnamal. https://github.com/Cinnamal/Cinnamal

I'm going to need help from people who know what they're doing in Cinnamon. I'm a very busy person with a family, so it's going to take a bit of time.

No changes have been made yet. Please provide feedback and advice.

The name comes from Cinnamaldehyde, found in Cinnamon. It also sounds a bit like minimal. So it's Cinnamal.
simonbrown

Post by simonbrown »

Some of the things you are asking for are already there in standard cinnamon:

* If things come up too small for your 4K display then switch to hidpi mode. (settings, general).

* If you don't want anything on your desktop then turn off the desktop icons (settings, desktop, show desktop icons off)

Interesting ideas about the menus. There are a few variant menus available as 3rd party applets. Why not try the same ? The code is here for a starting point https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/t ... nnamon.org
bleekii
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bleekii »

Thanks, some interesting stuff. I understand that Linux offers its users many options however I would still like to see a unified and polished change. Perhaps this could all be done with a single applet.

In response to questions about the centering issue, here's a screen short of the panel in edit mode.
scs.png
bleekii
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bleekii »

I've now fixed the gap issue when the center of the panel is used for the Window List.
https://github.com/Cinnamal/Cinnamal/bl ... i/panel.js
A.png
B.png
C.png
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

bleekii wrote:3. I want to do away with the traditional desktop.
You could stop using Cinnamon and, instead, use one of the many standalone window managers.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
Ark987

Post by Ark987 »

A Cinnamon fan here :D
1. A fix for centered items in panels.
Neutral on this, I would say make this as a configurable option, some people won't care, others may use a dock and others (like me) would say: "When is the vertical panel going to be implemented?
2. The UI should scale all fonts, icons, and menus to size on the screen
Sounds like a nice feature, this may improve the default settings presented to the end-user which in the end should be able to adjust.
3. I want to do away with the traditional desktop.

So I say do away with the desktop.

The menu could just remain open until an app is launched.
I think the icons under "Places' are taken from either bookmark or one the XDG variables.
Listing files under the menu doesn't seems to be a good idea (except for recent files) you may end up turning the menu into a file manager. I won't be happy that you choose the Desktop folder as the main target either, I don't have file in there :lol:

I think the menu does remain open already until an app is launched, or are you referring to make it like a sticky menu, I would say make it as an option (but I think this a personal taste).

Come on.... Vertical panels? Anyone? :mrgreen:

Last but not least, I would be happier if your end goal is to collaborate with the main project (Cinnamon) or create some kind of theme changer engine other than diverging into a separate DE project.
bleekii
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bleekii »

Neutral on this, I would say make this as a configurable option, some people won't care, others may use a dock and others (like me) would say: "When is the vertical panel going to be implemented?
I've actually already finished the this code. I think is one minor nuisance gone. I didn't even know about the lack of vertical panels. I think you're right that should be an option for users. I, however, can't fix that.
Sounds like a nice feature, this may improve the default settings presented to the end-user which in the end should be able to adjust.
I mean, just about every UI needs to do this today because of how vastly different screen sizes are now. Windows does it, OSX does it, Android does it, iOS does it... Cinnamon is a little behind in this measure. I had a windows developer mocking my cinnamon desktop... it stung a little, but he had to use Windows 8 for years so he's a bit insecure. :lol:
Listing files under the menu doesn't seems to be a good idea (except for recent files) you may end up turning the menu into a file manager. I won't be happy that you choose the Desktop folder as the main target either, I don't have file in there :lol:
This is the most important part of the project.
1. What is the desktop space, a very large space indeed, intended for? A: quick access to a set or files, favorite programs, and certain management tools "Computer, network, recycling bin..."
2. Why are you using the desktop to store handy files, hence wasting space? A: Most likely because it's messy, and you like your files in proper sub folders.
3. So if the desktop became a nice clean item where you stored files for quick access, would you use it?
4. And couldn't those management tools also be optional items in the menu?
5. Would it become another file manager? A: No, it's only for quick access. The only real purpose which the desktop serves.
Perhaps the default folder could be an option.
I think the menu does remain open already until an app is launched, or are you referring to make it like a sticky menu, I would say make it as an option (but I think this a personal taste).
If all applications are closed my menu doesn't stay open.

Last but not least, I would be happier if your end goal is to collaborate with the main project (Cinnamon) or create some kind of theme changer engine other than diverging into a separate DE project.
[/quote]
Cinnamal is just a fork. I'm working to get its changes into Cinnamon, possibly as other modes.

Return to “Cinnamon”