Mint 17.2 Desktop Sharing Broken?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wanconcepts

Mint 17.2 Desktop Sharing Broken?

Post by wanconcepts »

I have just setup a Fitlet X MintBox Mini. What a nice piece of small hardware. I am having one bit of trouble though and that is with Desktop Sharing. I have enabled desktop sharing under preferences and selected under Sharing "Allow other users to view your desktop" and "Allow other users to control your desktop", under Security "Require the user to enter this password" and placed a password in the field. Under Show Notification Area Icon I have selected "Only when someone is connected".

I seem to connect to the remote session just fine, but the remote screen never refreshes.

I can see both screens where I sit and I can, for example, click on the menu button in Vinagre and the screen doesn't change locally but on the remote host the menu button presents the menu. I try and refresh the screen at the remote viewer and nothing happens but the mouse moves around and looking at the host I can click and move just fine.

I have this same configuration working on Mint 17.1 ( not Fitlet X MintBox Mini though ) and it seems to work just fine. Is there a new bug that was introduced in 17.2?

Any help would be appreciated as the application for these Fitlet X MintBox Minis' requires that I am able to remotely control them.

I have loaded dconf-editor and have looked for remote-access where there used to be some selections allowing refreshes etc. but don't see anything related now.

I don't want to have to remove Vino and load X11vnc as I have a bunch of these preconfigured boxes to set up and use and that would be too time consuming for the job.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance for your time.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Mint 17.2 Desktop Sharing Broken?

Post by Cosmo. »

Install remmina on the client side, additionally you need remmina-plugin-vnc for this case. No changes needed on the host side for vino.
wanconcepts

Post by wanconcepts »

Well I installed remmina-plugin-vnc on my client and nothing has changed. Seems that the host will not recognize my mouse and key strokes no matter what I do. The actions i perform remotely do work on the host but the remote WILL not see them no matter what I do?

Not sure what's happening or why...
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Did you change the settings in remmina for the connection?

When the connection has been established, look into the settings of the VNC window. There a refresh setting should be available.
wanconcepts

Post by wanconcepts »

Well, it seems that didn't work for me as the response is the same as in Vinagre. After installing the remmina-plugin-vnc on my client and once I had established a connection trying to refresh the screen, what is displayed is the original screen at the time of the connection even though the screen of the host shows any action that was taken.

I am still unable to see any updates to the screen on the host... None of the options in remmina seemed to be related to refresh rates or host screen updates.

It seems to me to be something at the Mint 17.2 host end as both Vinagre and Remmina work just fine with other hosts and I have Mint 17.1 working remotely too...?

Return to “Cinnamon”