[not going to be solved]panel malfunction

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
iowabeakster

[not going to be solved]panel malfunction

Post by iowabeakster »

I just updated from 17 to 17.2 (cinnamon). And now my auto-hide panel feature has stopped working. Well, it works for a while and then stops. It worked fine in 17.0. I tried to change to "intelligently hide panel" and to set it to always on, but it remains missing.

Rebooting brings it back, and it works for a while again. But after some indeterminate time, it disappears never to reappear until next reboot.

Thanks for any help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Auto-hide panel

Post by Cosmo. »

I'm not quite sure, what you say: Do you say, that the panel disappears until a reboot or does hiding no longer works (in both modes)?

Create a new account and test there.
iowabeakster

Re: Auto-hide panel

Post by iowabeakster »

Sorry. Thanks for the help.

The problem is that the panel hides (as it should) but does not un-hide (when the mouse is moved to the area). It is a panel I keep at the top of screen.

[completely edited, if anybody in the world might be interested]

Not only does it do it when the panel is in auto-hide (and intelligent hide), the panel even disappears when it is in the "always visible" mode.

I figured out where the problem lies. The problem is related to the screensaver, and I'm probably the only person who will have this problem.

The problem arises on my "home theater" PC and the display is a plasma panel. Therefore I want a real screen saver for the reason of preventing image retention. I know, using a screen saver for that reason is something probably nobody else in the world does anymore.

Basically I use good old-fashioned xscreensaver (because some of them are still completely awesome). I use caffeine to disable the screen saver when in full screen mode. Because, you don't want your screensaver to kick on while watching video in full screen. And I use faux-gnome-screensaver to integrate xscreensaver into cinnamon while using caffeine, because somewhere along the line, gnome 3 broke everything involving screensavers (I had to change some of the symlinks in the installation instructions to link to cinnamon-screensaver and cinnamon-screensaver-command instead of gnome).

Anyway it worked perfectly in mint 17.0. And 16 and 15 (but I didn't need faux-gnome-screensaver in those versions). I don't remember exactly how long I've ran Mint-cinnamon on the HTPC. But anyway, with 17.2 the panel malfunctions.

I've never actually used 17.1 on that computer. I have it installed (tested something once, but never really used it). So, I'll try 17.1 and report back, not that anybody else is going to benefit from my findings. :lol:

It may be end-of-life for mint cinnamon on my HTPC already. darn
iowabeakster

Re: [not going to be solved]panel malfunction

Post by iowabeakster »

Yep, same panel problem in 17.1. Wiped the partition with 17.1 and reinstalled 17.0. Screensavers and panels are working fine again. I've been stealing config files from the partition that I (stupidly) upgraded to 17.2. I had really good reasons to upgrade my XFCE machine, and it went smoothly. I figured it would work just as smoothly on the HTPC running cinnamon.

And now my HTPC will remain running 17.0 for 4 more years. Yay, LTS.
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

In case you aren't aware, Cinnamon 2.6 in Mint 17.2 supports xscreensavers out of the box. I think you need to install the actual screensavers themselves but then you can access them directly from System Settings->Screensaver. Not all the individual options for each screensaver are available. 2.6 also added an inhibitor panel applet that should work in place of caffeine. With those options you can probably get this all to work natively without any weird workarounds.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
iowabeakster

Post by iowabeakster »

Thanks JosephM.

I did see that xscreensavers were supported in the screensaver menu of cinnamon in 17.2. I did not know about the inhibitor panel applet. That's pretty cool. I did try to use caffeine on 17.2, but it didn't work . I just went back 17.0, rather than to try to fix the code in caffeine.

I'm good for now. 17.0 is fine. I don't have a pressing reason to upgrade the desktop of the HTPC, so I won't bother. I wasted enough time on it already. (And I still can crank up the numbers of stars and tweak the zspeed in 'wormhole' to a state of utter awesomeness. :D Seriously, visitors to my house cannot look away from the TV when I play music and the screensaver kicks on. It's hilarious. )

But that's great to hear that it basically is able to do everything that I want natively, minus the individual settings for screensavers. Maybe they'll add those xscreensaver settings before 17.0 goes unsupported in 4 years. If not, I might have to start using something besides wormhole.

Return to “Cinnamon”