howto set font and font-color for Cinnamon panel fly over

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SaintDanBert
Level 4
Level 4

howto set font and font-color for Cinnamon panel fly over

Post by SaintDanBert »

Where are the settings for the font and the font-color for the Cinnamon (v2.6.*+rafaela) panel fly over displays?

When I float my pointer over one of the panel icons, a small text display appears just above the panel. This text appears in a sans serif font shown in black text. I would like to use a different font, and I would like to change the color of the text from black to some other color [white, yellow, orange, etc]. How do I accomplish this change of desktop appearance?

When I fly over an "application" [firefox, thunderbird, skype, etc] I get a thumbnail display. When I fly over a "panel applet" [LAN connection, dropbox status, bluetooth status, etc] I see the text display of interest. I've looked in Cinnamon settings that I can find without seeing any way to alter the font or font color associated with these fly over displays.

Thanks in advance,
~~~ 0;-Dan

Linux Mint 17.2 plus available updates as of 22 Sept 2015
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: howto set font and font-color for Cinnamon panel fly ove

Post by Cosmo. »

The typical name for this is: tooltips.

Their appearance is part of the desktop theme.
SaintDanBert
Level 4
Level 4

Post by SaintDanBert »

Cosmo. wrote:The typical name for this is: tooltips.
Thanks for the "name." Often, one cannot find useful information because one uses an incorrect name for the feature or app or service.
Cosmo. wrote:Their appearance is part of the desktop theme.
Does this mean that I must hack or replace the entire THEME before I can change these settings?
Are theme-specific settings for tooltips declared in one place or are they unique for each tool. For example,
would the wifi status tool have unique tooltip setting from the battery status tool?

Thanks, again,
~~~ 0;-Dan
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

You can switch to another theme or try to change the current theme. That is all I can tell you about this, because I never found it worth the time to deal with this.

Return to “Cinnamon”