Bug in X86_64 Cinnamon/Wine/Steam/Tomb Raider unknown source

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
imneo88

Bug in X86_64 Cinnamon/Wine/Steam/Tomb Raider unknown source

Post by imneo88 »

I believe I have run into a bug that's Cinnamon X86_64 specific but involves Tomb Raider over Steam over Wine.

First let me say that this is NOT related to the -nodwrite bug as I'm running WINE with the -nodwrite option and can log into Steam just fine.
It, ALSO, is not the GTK/Wine Font rendering bug, at least as described because the bug is ALWAYS there regardless of what O.S. I choose in WINE or what WINE version I use.

I'm running an Intel I7-960 on an Intel DX850G mainboard with 12Gig of RAM and an AMD HD 6790 Vid Card.
And Linux Mint 17.2 Rafael Cinnamon X86_64

The problem I'm experiencing is as follows: I've installed Tomb Raider 3 different ways in WINE and have gotten the same results with each, regardless of the WINE VERSION I USE.

#1- WINE'S LINUX BASED TOMB RAIDER INSTALL (In LINUX STEAM)
#2- PlayOnLinux Windows Based Tomb Raider install
#3- Manual setup and install through wine and a downloaded windows setup.exe for steam.

The last 2 were Steam's provided Tomb Raider download and install.

Each time the same results; black screens specifically on JUST the SAVE GAME MENU and LARA'S JOURNAL ENTRIES. The same overlay is used in the game for 2D and 3D when showing items like COINS AND MASKS and that works well, but NOTHING WITH ANY TEXT IN IT.

I believe this is LinuxMint Cinnamon X86_64 specific considering I CANNOT for the life of me find bug reports of this ANYWHERE or any suggestions as to why it's doing this.The only other place I've seen this problem repeat is in the MAC O.S. and they had no information on it or how to actually fix it.

Am I missing a linux library file, possilby? Codeweavers suggested a large group of linux libraries, all were :i386 and I'm assuming since I'm running the X86_64 version that there may be some missing. For instance, WINE doesn't make use of the 64 bit keyring libs so I had to download and install the 32 bit versions.

Font registration or installation problem? I've installed the Microsoft True Type fonts and the recommended Tahoma and Tahoma2 but they installed in the Wine "bottle" and not in the Windows/Fonts directory. So I copied them into that fonts folder.. but no change? Does every font have to have a corresponding registry entry? I've copied every font from my windows 8 PC to this folder but none of them show in the Windows registry for this game installation. Do I have to add them one at a time? could take a while. :(

Possible GTK font/rendering issue? I get 1 error regarding GTK when starting Steam but not a single error message after that, and no error message when I get to the screen(s) missing the text(s). As far as PlayOnLinux/WINE/Steam/Tomb Raider is concerned everything is working fine.. and it does.. as long as you don't expect to read the text in those few screens. Outside of this BUG the game runs flawlessly.

Any ideas or suggestions would be helpful, Thanks in advance. ;)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Bug in X86_64 Cinnamon/Wine/Steam/Tomb Raider unknown so

Post by Hoser Rob »

imneo88 wrote:... I believe this is LinuxMint Cinnamon X86_64 specific considering I CANNOT for the life of me find bug reports of this ANYWHERE or any suggestions as to why it's doing this.The only other place I've seen this problem repeat is in the MAC O.S. and they had no information on it or how to actually fix it....
I wouldn't consider that a reason to believe that's a Cinnamon bug. If that program ran fine on the same mint 17 release with another DE but not cinnamon, yes.

Actually according to this ...

https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... &iId=29494

... the ubuntu 14.04 version ... which is what mint 17 is based on ... doesn't run properly. Anything there rated less than gold will be rubbish.

And trying to install a newer wine version isn't likely to help.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
imneo88

Post by imneo88 »

The negative comments in for Ubuntu 14.04 users does NOT include missing any text from the save game menu or Lara's logs.. though, another using posting comments on a Ubuntu 14.04 running a MAC did have that same problem. And I'm wondering the relevance, I'm talking about linux Mint 17.2 Rafael Cinnamon x86_64 and not an OLD version of Ubuntu.. Which may, or may not, have even been running the Cinnamon desktop environment. ;)

The "garbage" and "Silver" ratings though, for the most part were warranted for someone NOT willing to do any research. Their biggest complaint is the game pad.. the XBox 360 controls which I've got working. Graphics are good with a little tweaking too.. and now the game is running absolutely flawless aside from the missing text! :)
imneo88

Post by imneo88 »

This bug post can be deleted by ADMINS! I've confirmed that this bug is NOT specific to Linux Mint Cinnamon 17.2 Rafael X86_64 in ANY way.. it also exists in Manjaro Linux XFCE X86_64 (an ARCH varient) and with every WINE header I've tried through PlayOnLInux.

I believe it's something as simple as a missing FONT but I can't determine which font it is. I've installed the MSCOREFONTS and the recommended Tahoma and still have the problem. (unless the Tahoma didn't install properly??)

And P.S. to the previous poster on this.. with Manjaro Linux x86_64 this would get a Silver to Gold rating from me in WINE. It runs fantastic on my system.. with the exception of ONLY 2 bugs. This missing font bug here and running out of memory about 2 hours into the game. ;)

Return to “Cinnamon”