How do I change window border colors?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
CjStaal

How do I change window border colors?

Post by CjStaal »

How do I make window borders red if an application is ran as root, and green otherwise?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Zalbor

Post by Zalbor »

Wait for other replies, but I don't think that's possible.

You could set a different theme for root and that would change the inside of a window, but the border is still drawn by the window manager, which runs under the regular user account so it will always use your own theme.
CjStaal

Re: How do I change window border colors?

Post by CjStaal »

Zalbor, I've seen people do it. Not sure if it was Cinnamon, but I have seen people actually do it.
CjStaal

Re:

Post by CjStaal »

Zalbor wrote:Wait for other replies, but I don't think that's possible.

You could set a different theme for root and that would change the inside of a window, but the border is still drawn by the window manager, which runs under the regular user account so it will always use your own theme.
http://imgur.com/a/2lPH9
Like this, if you look at the images, the inner borders are red when run in super user mode.
Zalbor

Post by Zalbor »

The red borders aren't the window borders; they're inside the window. Unless I'm mistaken, the DE is Gnome 3 and the red borders are in a Nautilus window, which means it's Nautilus (the file explorer) that makes them red. Perhaps they could do the same with the file explorers Mint uses, but that would require developing the feature if it's not there; I don't think it's a theme.

Perhaps you could try requesting it as a feature, but I'm not sure how to do that.
niowluka

Post by niowluka »

That looks like a theme mod. Basically the root account is using slightly modified version of the theme used by user. The root's theme should be located under /root/.themes, so you would need to do some manual tweaking there.
niowluka

Post by niowluka »

Sorry, I just noticed the screens are from KDE, which I have absolutely no knowledge of. Ignore me.
ralplpcr
Level 6
Level 6

Post by ralplpcr »

niowluka wrote:Sorry, I just noticed the screens are from KDE, which I have absolutely no knowledge of. Ignore me.

They're also screenshots of OpenSuse, which is a completely different distro. Not saying that it can't be done, but I'd wager that it'd be something specific to "Dolphin" and KDE in those screenshots.

Cinnamon does have the red "elevated privileges" bar in Mint, but as far as changing that, I expect you'd need to delve into how Nemo displays the windows. That's a bit beyond what I've explored thus far.
Elev_Norm.png
edit: Corrected to "Nemo", which is what Cinnamon 17.2 uses.

Return to “Cinnamon”