Unusual results from search function in Cinnamon menu

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sandmaster

Unusual results from search function in Cinnamon menu

Post by sandmaster »

I've been using Ubuntu for awhile on my laptop. I recently set up a desktop at my work where I needed to dual boot with Windows 7, so this was the perfect opportunity to try out a new distro. I decided to go with Mint running Cinnamon, and so far I like it quite a bit. One thing that bothers me, though, is the search function inside Cinnamon's desktop menu. It doesn't seem to do a very good job at narrowing down the list of applications as I type a name. For example, let's say I want to find Firefox. Typing just "f" doesn't seem to change the order of the results at all, as they are all in alphabetical order beginning with "a". The first result that begins with "f" ("Files") is the 12th item from the top. Searching "fi" moves this up to the 4th spot. "fir" finally gets Firefox to the top. In Unity's Dash search and in the Gnome 2 desktop search, Firefox is the first result after typing "f", meaning I can start it with just Super + f + Enter. I obviously don't expect these search functions to behave exactly the same, but I would minimally expect results to be continuations of the letters in the search. Has anyone else experienced something like this? (I know it's not a reproducible example). Is there a reason for it that I am missing?

64 bit Linux Mint 17.1 (Rebecca) with Cinnamon 2.6.
Kernel version 3.13.0-37-generic
Running on a Dell OptiPlex 7010 (model 0GY6Y8)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Unusual results from search function in Cinnamon menu

Post by Cosmo. »

Probable explanation:

The search function in Cinnamon does not only search inside the menu names, but also in descriptions and keywords. You can see this, if you enter e.g. surf or Internet as search word and you will see, that in both cases also FF will be found, although both words do not exist in the menu name.

This feature is very helpful for non English users. E.g. If you want to open the program for analyzing the disk usage; the menu name depends from the language of the system, so around the world it is different. But if you enter baobab (the file name of the executable) you will get it.
sandmaster

Re: Unusual results from search function in Cinnamon menu

Post by sandmaster »

Thanks for your reply. The search function must be looking through more than just the application name (which it rightfully should be) but that alone doesn't explain the order of the results. I would still expect application names to be completed before keywords.

Return to “Cinnamon”