[SOLVED] How do I enable menu categories?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mycozylife

[SOLVED] How do I enable menu categories?

Post by mycozylife »

When I open the main menu (Mint button?) I get a list of some of the categories for programs to chose from. The "Programming" category is not present in the menu, and i need it. I can right click the menu, hit configure, and open the menu editor, though that has every category checked. If I uncheck visible categories in the menu, they go away. If I add them back, they come back. However, I can't uncheck and recheck menu items to get them to show up. Is there a file that says what categories are hidden and unable to be enabled? If so, where's the file? I need access to those categories so I don't have to launch them off of the terminal.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: How do I enable menu categories?

Post by xenopeek »

Are there any applications listed in those menu categories? Menu applets for Cinnamon I think all don't show empty menu categories.
Ron-N

Post by Ron-N »

xenopeek wrote:Are there any applications listed in those menu categories? Menu applets for Cinnamon I think all don't show empty menu categories.
Correct, empty categories are not shown in the menu by default. I noticed this as well.
mycozylife wrote: The "Programming" category is not present in the menu, and i need it.
Did you installed any program lately of which you think it should have a short-cut in that menu sub-categorie?
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

You can check the list of registered categories here; a registered category "Programming" does not exist. So why do think that you need it? (Maybe, you mean "Development".)
Anyway, if you want it, than you can create it manually with the menu editor.

There does exist the file ~/.config/menus/cinnamon-applications.menu, where information about entries get stored, which are different to the default menu structure (inclusive removed, activated or deactivated menu entries). If there are no differences to the default, the file does not exist.

And don't forget, that if do changes manually you have to restart Cinnamon afterwards in most cases.
mycozylife

Post by mycozylife »

Yesterday I figured out that it was a temporary glitch. Yes, the "Programming" menu does exist and it comes with Mint. By default it comes with two entries for Python. However, when I tried to get it to show, I had added the Atom text editor with it checked. For some reason it didn't show up, and neither did the "Other" category that had items checked off. I noticed that there was a menu for Wine, though I never installed Wine, so once I did, it fleshed out that menu, and it also unlocked the other menus so they show up. It sounds like a bug to me.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

mycozylife wrote:Yes, the "Programming" menu does exist and it comes with Mint. By default it comes with two entries for Python.
Strange. Here it is called "Development" (German: Entwicklung"), following the standard. Which is the language of your system?

Return to “Cinnamon”