New user doesn't show up on login screen

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ni_ci
Level 1
Level 1

New user doesn't show up on login screen

Post by ni_ci »

I'm using Linux Mint 17.2 with Cinnamon and I've created a new user using the command line in a terminal window. The new user is listed in GUI (System settings -> Users and Groups) but it is not listed on the login screen so I can not select it for login or to switch user. Is there a way I can force the display manager to synchronize with the content of /etc/passwd ?

I did some research but all I could find was the opposite i.e. people looking for a way to hide a login name from being displayed on the login screen.

Any suggestion would be appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: New user doesn't show uo on login screen

Post by Cosmo. »

The quick solution: delete the new account and create it new with the GUI-tool.

The other question is, what exactly did you enter as command-line?
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

also - try just typing the new user-name into the box, ignoring any existing user-name.
followed by the password - it should work.

to get back to the original user, type that user-name into the box.

it's a security thing - doesn’t show all users.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
ni_ci
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ni_ci »

Thank you all for your help.

@Cosmo - I created the user with

Code: Select all

useradd -m -c "Test user" test
and I also noticed that the GECOS field in /etc/passwd for all accounts created in GUI contains several fields (some of them empty) separated by comas. I wonder what would be the purpose! Yes, I could delete the account and re-create it in GUI but I was keeping that as a last option.

@Pierre - I finally managed to make it work using your suggestion. However, I find it rather cumbersome to do all that just to get prompted for the login name. I agree with you that for security reasons a computer should not display a list of login names (some of which are already being displayed in our case), however triggering a failed login alert for an existing user in order to obtain the prompt to input login name is not a good idea. I strongly believe the login screen should adopt one of the two ways: either the way of convenience by displaying the list of all users or the way of security by asking for login name and password in two input fields.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

I wonder, why you used useradd and not adduser. The man pages for useradd recommends that, see also here.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: New user doesn't show up on login screen

Post by karlchen »

Hi, nici.

when logged in as the new user who does not show up in the MDM greeter screen, execute the terminal command

Code: Select all

id
What is the user ID number of the new user? In case it is something less than 1000, then the MDM greeter screen will not display the user in its list by default.

Cheers,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
ni_ci
Level 1
Level 1

Re: New user doesn't show up on login screen

Post by ni_ci »

@Cosmo - Thanks for pointing me to adduser. I didn't have any special reason to use useradd, maybe I was just being too old school.

@ Karl - useradd assigned the highest available user ID number larger than 1000 as it is supposed to do, however I noticed that in /etc/passwd file the newly created user was missing a shell assignment.

Anyway, thanks to you my problem is now solved and as a bonus I got a little bit wiser.

Thank you all for your help.

Return to “Cinnamon”