Problem: Tiling/snapping settings do not remain set

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dcharles

Problem: Tiling/snapping settings do not remain set

Post by dcharles »

Hi all. I'm new to the forum. Hopefully this is the right place for this thread; let me know if I should move it or anything.

I am using Linx Mint 17 Cinnamon 64-bit on a desktop computer, and I'm having trouble with the tiling/snapping settings.

I don't like the behavior wherein windows maximize or tile when you approach or cross the edge of the screen. I want nothing at all to happen to the window when I drag it to the edge of the screen. So, I read that I should disable all of the settings under "Window Tiling and Edge Flip." After unchecking every box, Cinnamon behaves the way I want, and nothing happens when I drag windows to the edge.

HOWEVER, sometimes (seemingly randomly) these settings seem to change by themselves. Sometimes I will drag a window to the edge of the screen and the screen will dim; if I let go of the mouse, the window will maximize. Oddly enough, when I go back into the "Window Tiling and Edge Flip" window, all of the settings are still un-checked, just as I left them.

Usually my solution is to open the "Window Tiling and Edge Flip" window, re-check all of the boxes, and then un-check all of the boxes. This often (but not always) fixes the problem.

But sometimes windows will still try to snap -- even after re-enabling and disabling these settings. That just happened to me: I had to re-check and un-check all of the settings about four times, and finally the snapping behavior stopped ... for now.

Is this a bug? Is there anything I can do about it? I hesitate to submit any sort of bug report, because the circumstances are somewhat vague and seemingly random. I'd appreciate any information you might have.

For what it's worth, I also have a laptop with Linux Mint 17 Xfce, and I seem to recall seeing similar problems on that machine as well. However, I don't use that machine as often, so I may just be imagining that. Still, I figured it was worth mentioning; I can double-check that and get back to you about it.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dcharles

Re: Problem: Tiling/snapping settings do not remain set

Post by dcharles »

I just wanted to point out, it appears others have had the same issue: see here.

Additionally, I have just discovered some useful information. Here's how I can reproduce (as well as fix) the issue on my machine:
  • Maximize a window (e.g., Firefox)
  • Un-maximize the window
  • Drag the window towards and past an edge of the screen (either top, left, bottom, or right); the window will want to maximize

To fix:
  • Open menu "Window Tiling and Edge Flip"
  • Check the first box ("Enable Window Tiling and Snapping")
  • Drag the window towards and past an edge of the screen; again, it will want to tile
  • Uncheck that box ("Enable Window Tiling and Snapping"); now, the window will not maximize when dragged past the edge
I don't know whether these steps will reproduce the issue on all machines, but they reproduce it on mine.

The problem is not specific to Firefox: I used a window from another program as well, and the same issue still occurs.

Also, I don't believe it's likely that any of the various software I have installed to is causing this to occur. At the least, I can say I haven't installed any software for manipulating Cinnamon's user interface.

Return to “Cinnamon”