[SOLVED]Cant switch back from XFCE4 to cinnamon? HELP

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DragonJarvis

[SOLVED]Cant switch back from XFCE4 to cinnamon? HELP

Post by DragonJarvis »

Hello dear Forum,
I installed XFCA4 above cinnamon via this " tutorial" http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 8&t=192191
As a newbie I am impressed that I got that running at the first try! Although my bottom panel does not look that cool and I dont have this cool weather applet. =/
However, when I sign out and chose either the default desktop enviroment or ci or c2 i always get back to the XFCE desktop enviroment.
Can someone help me?

My Specs:
LinuxMint17.2
I cant give you more specs of my computer because my Terminal does not work?! I cant write anything in my terminal..

Edit: Nevermind, my Terminal colors were wrong...
Specs:

Code: Select all

System:    Host: julien-desktop Kernel: 3.16.0-38-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.8.2) 
           Desktop: Xfce 4.12.2 (Gtk 2.24.23) Distro: Linux Mint 17.2 Rafaela
Machine:   Mobo: ASRock model: 870 Extreme3 Bios: American Megatrends version: P1.60 date: 09/14/2010
CPU:       Triple core AMD Athlon II X3 440 (-MCP-) cache: 1536 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4a svm) bmips: 18037.1 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 1800.00 MHz 2: 1800.00 MHz 3: 800.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Curacao XT [Radeon R9 270X] bus-ID: 04:00.0 
           X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1280x1024@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD PITCAIRN GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 10.1.3 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card-1: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA) driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:14.2 
           Card-2: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Cape Verde/Pitcairn HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 7700/7800 Series] 
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 04:00.1 
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.16.0-38-generic
Network:   Card: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller 
           driver: r8169 ver: 2.3LK-NAPI port: c800 bus-ID: 02:00.0
           IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 1000.2GB (0.9% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: SAMSUNG_HD103UJ size: 1000.2GB 
Partition: ID: / size: 48G used: 8.6G (19%) fs: ext4 ID: swap-1 size: 4.29GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
RAID:      No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 25.4C mobo: N/A gpu: 34.0 
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A 
Info:      Processes: 178 Uptime: 1:08 Memory: 744.1/3952.8MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.8.4 
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.11) inxi: 1.9.17 
EDIT2:..... I did need to press "Log out" not Switch user.. Sorry.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: [SOLVED]Cant switch back from XFCE4 to cinnamon? HELP

Post by karlchen »

DragonJarvis wrote:I installed XFCA4 above cinnamon via this " tutorial" http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 8&t=192191
Sorry, but I have to tell you that this instruction is for LMDE 2, Linux Mint Debian Edition. But you are using Linux Mint 17.2, which is Ubuntu based.
The right steps for Linux Mint 17.x would be these e.g.: xfce instead of Mate
(Do not let yourself be put off by the name of Mate. The guy who gave the steps, actually added xfce to the Cinnamon desktop. He is still using Linux Mint 17.1 Cinnamon plus xfce as of today. Switching between Cinnamon and xfce 4.12 is no problem. Can be done when logging in in the MDM greeter screen.)
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
DragonJarvis

Post by DragonJarvis »

Oh crud... thank you for your answer!
But, for now it works. So now I dont know how to delete the xfce4 stuff I did.But for now my xfce4 enviroment somehow works :D
I will test it out more and research how to delete xfce and install it properly... I am still a linux noob but thank you for the answer!
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, DragonJarvis.

Actually, as you state that xfce works as it should, simply do not try to fix something which is not broken.
The instruction which you used holds a few details which will only apply to LMDE. In case you translated these details to match your Ubuntu based Mint, no harm has been done.
Simply be careful in future when finding an instruction to make sure
+ it is up to date
+ it is meant for your Mint edition :wink:

Cheers,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
DragonJarvis

Post by DragonJarvis »

Hello karlchen :) Thank you for your support.
Yeah, it works as it should, I will not try to "fix" something.
The only thing I actually did was searching for"xfce4 in the paketmanager, marked it to install it and installed it, same with the xfce4 goodies. That was it.

The only "issue" I had was performance issues with the stable opera 12.16 version but I just switched to firefox for my linuxmintOS.
The only 2 things I didn`t figure out yet is how to get this cool looking bottom panel and the applet he uses which shows weather and some hardware specs.
I will research some more into that!

Thank you for your support and have a good one:)

Return to “Cinnamon”