[SOLVED] Mint 17.2 Screen Lock - passwords twice to unlock

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
double_facepalm

[SOLVED] Mint 17.2 Screen Lock - passwords twice to unlock

Post by double_facepalm »

Hi There,

I have a strange issue with the screen lock after upgrading from Mint Cinnamon 17.1 to 17.2. When the screen locks (I presume screensaver is responsible for this) I have to enter the password to unlock. However, after a couple of seconds the same unlock screen appears again and I have to re-enter the password for the second time. There was a previous article with similar issue caused by having both Cinnamon and Gnome screensavers installed. However, I don't appear to have the Gnome screensaver installed. Here's the output from ps -elf | grep -i screen:

0 S username 2802 2174 0 80 0 - 95188 poll_s 18:24 ? 00:00:00 cinnamon-screensaver
0 S username 2943 2929 0 80 0 - 2936 pipe_w 18:32 pts/4 00:00:00 grep --colour=auto -i screen

Thanks a lot in advance for your help!

O.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
74DarkStar

Re: Mint 17.2 Screen Lock - passwords twice to unlock

Post by 74DarkStar »

I have this exact same issue. Hopefully, a solution will be found soon because it is annoying to have to login twice.
Brutal

Post by Brutal »

I have this exact same issue. I use mint 17.3 Cinnamon
chemikul30

Post by chemikul30 »

Brutal et All:

This is just a shot in the dark, you'lll have to check your system settings. You could be easily entering a pw for the screenlock and have pw resume on inactivity or standby. I don't have my distro in front of me but if I remember right (a real stretch):), you can set pw resume in both power settings and screenlock. Something to look into.

Another thing you all can do is log the time of your logins and look up the processes responsible in 'Auth' in the Logviewer, hopefully there's two. At least that way you can track each pw event to their respective process. Then do some old-fashioned searching to resolve an app association.

I'm very curious as well, I've got a list of other things I need to TS and fix but I want to know the answer.

chemikul30.
AE2100A
Level 2
Level 2

Post by AE2100A »

I'm using Linux Mint 17.3. I have the same problem now, but it just started. So, I ran for weeks with 17.3 before this started. Of course, it could be anything, but I am suspicious of some software I loaded call "gnome-do". To me, it seems like it started about the same time. I haven't attempted to uninstall it yet nor have I attempted to replicate the behaviour on a virtual linux mint 17.3 install.
double_facepalm

Post by double_facepalm »

I think I found the problem at the end. I had both screen-saver and computer hibernation lock settings applied for the same time period. So when the computer locked I had to unlock both the hibernation mode and then the screen saver.

Return to “Cinnamon”