Virtual Desktops in a Grid?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
m00dawg

Virtual Desktops in a Grid?

Post by m00dawg »

Is there any official support planned for a Grid based way of navigating desktops? I used to use CTRL + arrow-keys (still use that on OS X via Total Spaces) and really miss it in Cinnamon. I know there is a plugin that will remap the expose keys so I can use a grid, but then I can't use the expose features. I assume if I really needed it, Mate might be an option? But otherwise I really like Cinnamon so was curious if anyone has figured this out yet or has any thoughts?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Allen Papapetrou

Re: Virtual Desktops in a Grid?

Post by Allen Papapetrou »

Yes!

I'm using LMC172. In System Settings>Preferences>Hot Corners I set up 3 corners to Show all workspaces.

When I move the mouse pointer to a one of the 3 corners the grid appears.

Aloha.. Allen
m00dawg

Post by m00dawg »

I use F3 for that just because that follows my OS X setup. But on OS X (using Total Spaces or for Snow Leopard hold-outs) and on older GNOME installs I would configure CTRL + Arrow Keys to just switch windows. It's much faster than having to hit a shortcut then grab the mouse. Moreso the problem is that kind of back and forth from my keyboard to my mouse can really flare up my carpal tunnel.

To be clear, CTRL + left/right works on Mint - just not up/down. I haven't figured out how to enable that without using an add-on, but the add-on disables the expose key. So today, if I'm workspace 1 and need to get to workspace 3, I have to swipe twice. That's with 4 workspaces, but I'd really like to run 9 (in a 3x3) as that is what I used to use when I ran Linux on the Desktop last time.

So that would be nice to have. But, to be clear, I'm overall loving Cinnamon and Mint and am glad I made the switch back to Linux on the Desktop. Couple minor issues, this being one, but overall I've been quite happy.
Allen Papapetrou

Post by Allen Papapetrou »

I'm using 9 workspaces and...

In System Settings>Hardware>Keyboard>Shortcuts>Workspaces, my LMC172 came with:
  • Switch to left workspace => Ctrl-Alt-Left
    Switch to right workspace => Ctrl-Alt-Right
Not knowing much about the other keyboard shortcuts I've been using Ctrl-Alt-"key" for other workspace keys. In Workspaces>Direct Navigation I set the following:
  • Switch to workspace 1 => Ctrl-Alt-1
    Switch to workspace 4 => Ctrl-Alt-4
    Switch to workspace 7 => Ctrl-Alt-7
In Shortcuts>General the settings are:
  • Toggle Scale => Ctrl-Alt-Down
    Toggle Expo => Ctrl-Alt-Up
I assume I would have to remove these two settings so I could use them in other places, like Workspaces.

Also, since I might move windows from one workspace to another, I sometimes use the Windows Quick List panel applet to go to a Window//Workspace, and I've named 6 of my workspaces with the program name which my Startup script initially opens.

I haven't assigned Ctrl-"key" to anything yet.

Aloha.. Allen

Return to “Cinnamon”