How to get Cheese window to stay on top ?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
r00tkit

How to get Cheese window to stay on top ?

Post by r00tkit »

Hi guys,
i have bought webcam for my son so he can record screencasts of minecraft. I am unable to make Cheese window with camera picture to stay on top, as Minecraft window takes over the screen even if i set cheese window to "stay on top". I have installed wmctrl and used

Code: Select all

wmctrl -r :SELECT: -b add,above
to make it stay on top to no avail.
Is there any other way ?
Or maybe you can recommend some other software for webcam that provides this functionality ?

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: How to get Cheese window to stay on top ?

Post by Cosmo. »

At first: Cinnamon has this function build in: Right click the titlebar to open the system menu.

Does the problem only exist with this game? Make a test with a common application like gedit or the terminal.
r00tkit

Re: How to get Cheese window to stay on top ?

Post by r00tkit »

Hey Cosmo, thanks for reply. I am aware that cinnamon has this function built in, setting webcam window to "always on top" works if webcam window (whether its cheese or gucview) stays on top of web browser or such, but Minecraft grabs fullscreen and covers everything.
For screen recording, SimpleScreenRecorder works best for me, but maybe there is some other software that may record screencasts with pic-in-pic support enabled ... ?

Thanks in advance.

E2A: i have just tried disabling fullscreen ingame in minecraft and this helps camera window stay on top. But there has to be some more elegant solution...

Return to “Cinnamon”