Can't get two rows of panel items

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lizking

Can't get two rows of panel items

Post by lizking »

I'm new to Linux, and decided to go with the Cinnamon desktop. I've used Windows for the past 15 years, and there's some UI things I'm used to, one of them being a taskbar that, when doubled in thickness, would propagate with two rows of buttons. I did some searching, and lots of people mentioned (in really old posts) that if you made the panel large enough, the DE would automatically organize them into two rows. I tried this, and it did not work. I also tried adding a second panel, but I only had the option of placing it at the top, and the option to move it was grayed out. Is what I'm trying to do actually possible in Cinnamon?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Can't get two rows of panel items

Post by Cosmo. »

No, it is not. You can indeed create a second panel, but this has to be placed on the opposite edge of the desktop.

Windows only allows you one taskbar. If you have many programs open and many icons in the tray, the place gets low and making the taskbar higher is the only solution. With 2 panels in cinnamon you can set the different applets to the panel, where you want theme and you get by doing this more space for the remaining applet (e.g window list) on the other panel. You can also make every panel autohiding independent from the other.

Return to “Cinnamon”