Cannot access Windows partition after bootup LM17.2

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
iceblitzed

Cannot access Windows partition after bootup LM17.2

Post by iceblitzed »

Hello, I can boot up into LM 17.2 all fine and dandy but when I open the "file manager" I have placed several shortcuts to folders on my Windows partition. They have an "X mark" sign across them. I believe this is because my windows partition doesn't mount on startup so I added mount /media/myusername in the /etc/rc.local file. Things don't work.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
I2k4
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Cannot access Windows partition after bootup LM17.2

Post by I2k4 »

You don't mention which Windows. IF you're running Windows 8.x - 10 be aware that the default "shutdown" is not a full shutdown but a sort of hibernation for fast booting, that keeps engaging the hard drive - dual booting after this false Windows shutdown causes a failure to mount the drive in Linux by simply clicking it in the file manager. (This is not a problem in Windows 7 or earlier versions, which really do shut down.) If you need to fully shutdown Windows to address the hard drive from Mint's file manager, you can create a true shutdown icon like this:

http://www.softwareok.com/?seite=faq-Windows-8&faq=24

Apart from this, it's not usually necessary to do anything fancy to read the Windows partition - simply double clicking it in the file manager mounts it.
TRUST BUT VERIFY any advice from anybody, including me. Mint/Ubuntu user since 10.04 LTS. LM20 64 bit XFCE (Dell 1520). Dual boot LM20 XFCE / Win7 (Lenovo desktop and Acer netbook). Testing LM21.1 Cinnamon and XFCE Live for new Lenovo desktop.

Return to “Cinnamon”