Does Root Desktop have Icons?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
louarnold
Level 2
Level 2

Post by louarnold »

I'm new to Mint, running 17.2 right now. I want to know if the Root Desktop was ever designed to display desktop icons? Is there a configuration setting somewhere?

The icons for Computer, Home and Trash, etc. are displayed on the desktop for other user accounts, but not for Root. I tried System-Settings > Desktop, but that doesn't affect the Root Desktop.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

You shouldn't log into your desktop as root at all. :shock:

Very bad practice. I advise to avoid 10 fatal mistakes that may ruin your Linux:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... almistakes
Last edited by Pjotr on Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Does Root Desktop have Icons?

Post by Cosmo. »

I wonder, how you access "Root Desktop" and why?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

louarnold you can stop filing reports. If you want to log in as root to the graphical desktop, that is your prerogative. It however means that all software and services, and thus websites, also any malware and such, have unrestricted access to your system. BTW so do you. So any accidental drag&drop or delete in your file manager for a system file or directory would cause problems. Hence the comments from others.

Nobody here is logging in as root for security reasons. You can do everything you would want to do for which you'd need root access through sudo and related utlities (gksudo / kdesudo to run graphical applications as root temporarily).
louarnold
Level 2
Level 2

Post by louarnold »

xenopeek wrote:louarnold you can stop filing reports. If you want to log in as root to the graphical desktop, that is your prerogative. It however means that all software and services, and thus websites, also any malware and such, have unrestricted access to your system. BTW so do you. So any accidental drag&drop or delete in your file manager for a system file or directory would cause problems. Hence the comments from others.

Nobody here is logging in as root for security reasons. You can do everything you would want to do for which you'd need root access through sudo and related utlities (gksudo / kdesudo to run graphical applications as root temporarily).
Congrats! Now you have become the nuisance "telemarketer". Don't you think people already know all this that you preach. Grow up!
Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pilosopong Tasyo »

The initial replies to this thread did not answer the OP's main question. And despite good intentions, the thread got skewed in the wrong direction.

@louarnold: Even if you are new to Linux Mint, you did not mention if you are even familiar with Linux security. Had you mentioned this in your original post, the answers might have been different.

Newbies + root questions does raise the red flag. So it's understandable other members would chime in and give you sound advice. They may be unsolicited, but they gave it to you for a reason. So take it for what it's worth, and tone down your aggressive attitude.

To reiterate what was advised to you previously, whether you're already well-informed or not: Be aware of the implications of running as the root user. You are solely responsible should you compromise your machine by bypassing standard security practices in Linux.

So, let's keep ON TOPIC.

If anyone has actual experience on what the OP is talking about and are inclined to reply to this thread, they may do so.

And with that, we're moving forward.
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Pilosopong Tasyo wrote:If anyone has actual experience on what the OP is talking about
How could that be? I put a easy to understand question, he posted some .... , but he did not answer the question. My conclusion is obvious.
louarnold
Level 2
Level 2

Post by louarnold »

Volumes of reiterated paranoia...but no solution to the problem.
Last edited by xenopeek on Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: insults and personal attacks removed
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

I already explained why you likely won't find somebody here that can solve your problem for you:
xenopeek wrote:Nobody here is logging in as root
In other words, we haven't the foggiest because we're not logging in as root. Icons on the desktop are drawn by the file manager, Nemo. Perhaps it's not set up to autostart as a background process for root. Perhaps there is some issue with other needed background processes not autostarting for root. Perhaps some key files or directories aren't present in /root. You'll have to investigate and compare such things between two accounts. I ain't logging in as root to investigate this for you :wink:
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Enough said about the technicalities of this unwise and unhealthy business, at least as far as I'm concerned....

Still, I'm a bit curious as to *why* the OP is so hell-bent on messing up his system by logging into his desktop as root. So, OP: why? What on earth could be your reason for this?
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Try'n 2 Learn

Post by Try'n 2 Learn »

louarnold wrote:
xenopeek wrote:louarnold you can stop filing reports. If you want to log in as root to the graphical desktop, that is your prerogative. It however means that all software and services, and thus websites, also any malware and such, have unrestricted access to your system. BTW so do you. So any accidental drag&drop or delete in your file manager for a system file or directory would cause problems. Hence the comments from others.

Congrats! Now you have become the nuisance "telemarketer". Don't you think people already know all this that you preach. Grow up!
well, obviously i can't speak for others here. but the members of this forum could assemble and sing about "root" in a song, it would not trouble me a bit. i'll be happy to take that question for Xeno, no, not everyone knows about "root", and there are constantly new users coming to mint or interrested in mint. christ, it is the top distro release. so have a cup of tea and break some bread Louamold, its not that bad.
Try'n 2 Learn

Post by Try'n 2 Learn »

here Louamold, decompress yourself just a tad, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bzizsJfOlw
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

If somebody is knowledgeable enough about Linux to want icons on the root desktop, they should certainly be knowledgeable enough to put them there.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
louarnold
Level 2
Level 2

Post by louarnold »

Its none of your business to even consider red flags, and I don't respond to interrogation on matters irelevent to my question.... McCarthyism! Remember, its a two way street: I urge all those who see others subjected to such treatment to file reports to indicate that the rude behaviour is unacceptable, and I urge those who manage these forums to implement rules banning the behaviour.

And look at all the nuisance telemarketters joining in. Its a pity you don't really understand the security damage that your comments actually foster.
louarnold
Level 2
Level 2

Post by louarnold »

Try'n 2 Learn wrote:here Louamold, decompress yourself just a tad, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bzizsJfOlw
Ahhh, a person of thought and culture. How refreshing amoung all these ...er.. others.
Thank you.
Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pilosopong Tasyo »

louarnold wrote:...its a two way street: I urge all those who see others subjected to such treatment to file reports to indicate that the rude behaviour is unacceptable...

You've been requested to tone down your aggressive attitude, but it's quite clear you're not backing off. Your accusations of rude behavior from those who replied to you are unfounded as far as I see it. As a matter of fact, the worst I saw were off-topic replies. But rude behavior? No. The opposite, however, is true. I don't know what crude words were removed by xenopeek from your previous reply, and frankly I couldn't care less to find out. But insults and personal attacks are a clear violation of the forum rules.

As xenopeek mentioned, desktop icons are handled by the file manager, Nemo.

Thread locked.
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].

Return to “Cinnamon”