Multi monitor issue

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ACDias

Multi monitor issue

Post by ACDias »

Hi,

I'm using my laptop with a monitor connected to it and I've put the monitor above the laptop.
I have two panels: the bottom one has the open apps and the top one has the menu, clock and other apps.
When I try to move a window to the second monitor, dragging it up, the panel blocks the window and I can't move it.
If I hide the top panel or move it to the second monitor, it works fine, but if the top panel remains on the main screen I can't move windows.
Anyone knows how to fix this issue?

Thanks.

I'm using Linux Mint 17.2
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Multi monitor issue

Post by Hoser Rob »

It's probably impossible to say exactly how without knowing which mint desktop version you have, but arranging the displays in Settings so the extended screen is to the right (or left I guess) should fix things.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
ACDias

Post by ACDias »

Sorry.

I'm using Cinnamon 2.6.
And yes: left or right works fine, but it is not usual since the monitor is above my laptop and not side by side with it.
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

I believe this is a limitation currently with the new multi monitor panels. I've seen it reported by others. There are ways to get around it. You can for example Alt+left mouse click a window so you can grab and move it from an area besides the titlebar. This allows you to grab the window in the middle and then push it up past the panel. Not ideal I know and hopefully something that can be improved.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
ACDias

Post by ACDias »

JosephM wrote:I believe this is a limitation currently with the new multi monitor panels. I've seen it reported by others. There are ways to get around it. You can for example Alt+left mouse click a window so you can grab and move it from an area besides the titlebar. This allows you to grab the window in the middle and then push it up past the panel. Not ideal I know and hopefully something that can be improved.
It didn't work...
The panel still blocks the window. I've tried using the shortcut too, but it didn't work as well.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

I use an external monitor all the time. It's above the main monitor as well. Setting up the extended screen in mint to be on the right is no problem.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
ACDias

Post by ACDias »

Is it possible to make each screen act as a different workspace?

Return to “Cinnamon”